Ramp?

ALS1104

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
Panama City FL
Im adding a run underneath my chicken coop so they can get on the ground and stretch out a little. its pretty high up so im going to need to make a ramp out of something, just not sure what yet.. so my question is what do you use for a ramp? would love to see pictures. Thanks in advance!

D.gif

A long thin board 6 to 8 inches wide with cleats nailed or screwed across it 8 to 10 inches apart. Board should be long enough so that when you mount it solidly it isn't to steep. Make it out of whatever you have laying around, use your imagination and some common sense to make it work!

Last edited:
Ditto on what LoneOak wrote. The cleats give them something to grip.

Here is the ramp up to their roost (right side of pic)

Here is the ramp into their temporary run.

Here's what we did. Ours was pretty high off the ground so we made a two tier type bridge with a landing. I'm thinking I need to add more cleats for better traction. But my girls still make it up just fine. Not sure of your coming straight out of the bottom of the coop or out of a side door so this might not work for you. Good luck!

Depending on how tall it is you may not even need a ramp. My grandmother's coop is pretty well of the ground(maybe four or five feet), and her chickens get up and down just fine. If you are going to make a ramp, I would just use something simple such as plywood with notches or something similar.

Any board will do fine (use PT wood if it is outside in the elements). Make the cleats or rungs close together. Young birds and slow climbers will not struggle up the ramp.

thanks for the input! i love the pics, i was thinking using a board and glueing popcicle sticks to it? not sure if that will work. will i need extra support or is the board stiff enough it doesnt need it?... my coop is about hip height and the opening is going to be in the floor so im pretty sure ill need a ramp. thanks again for the pics and suggestions! any additional ideas/info also appreciated

Im adding a run underneath my chicken coop so they can get on the ground and stretch out a little. its pretty high up so im going to need to make a ramp out of something, just not sure what yet.. so my question is what do you use for a ramp? would love to see pictures. Thanks in advance!

D.gif

I'm just finishing my coop, (took way longer than expected), I am using a pressure treated deck board. They are an inch thick and 5 and a half inches wide. I am using 2 of them side by side held together with cleats underneath and am putting strips of PT on the upper side.

You need to use a piece of board for the cleats ripped about 1.25" wide or so, cut to the length that will match the width of the board used. That gives them plenty to grip to. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom