Ran out of duck food can I feed just corn

Mar 24, 2020
Out of duck food, can i feed just cracked corn for awhile? Feed store is about an hour away, and i’m super busy with work. Will they be ok for a week or two?

I feel like this is one of those questions where you knew the answer before asking the question. And if the store is over an hour away, have you factored in the cost of driving in your time and fuel vs the extra cost of the feed to have it shipped? You need to factor in the value of the health of your ducks, too, especially if you’re just ordering once. My chewy orders usually arrive within 2-3 days of my order.

I feel like your best bet is giving dog food with lots of veggies on the side. Dog food will have grains and such like in duck food but higher protein. I would try and get a fish one of possible. It certainly won't be perfect, but I think it is your best option.

Mine won’t eat bread. What fruits and vegetables would be good for them
Peas, watermelon. I feed mine frozen peas, thawed of course for a treat. Tomatoes romaine lettuce. Boiled eggs chopped up are a good source of protein. Macaroni, cooked. Potatoes cooked are a good duck food. All short term. Nothing beats duck chow.

So, if I remember right, cat food can be bad because it's got some type of sodium or something that most animals aren't really supposed to eat.

Is there a reason you didn't get another bag when you started getting low? It just seems odd you waited until you were almost completely out/were out before you started looking to get more feed, especially if you were going to be busy

One of the issues I forsee is what if they don't eat any of the extras that are offered? My ducks are the pickiest when it comes to food. They are offered their feed at all times, but they won't eat everything that gets offered to them when I do offer treats. I have to pick it up and throw it to the chickens or throw it away. An example is peas - my ducks refuse to eat peas. As well, last night I thew some field corn in - they turned their bills up at it.
Also, are you offering canned corn or frozen? If canned, then it should be rinsed as canned contains a lot of extra salt that they don't need.
Birdseed might be an alternative short term. But, again if they are picky plus throw in duck's being leery towards anything new - I'd go out of my way to get their feed - whether it's ordering it and paying more or driving extra.
I also stock up - not because of the distance - but because I hate shopping for all things.
I agree in the future it would be best to stock up. I buy 150lbs of feed at a time and place my order for the next shipment as soon as I'm down to 50lbs. This leaves plenty of time for my next shipment to arrive and no possibility of running out of feed.

I wouldn't leave perishable foods out for too long for ducks. Botulism would be a concern as well as mold since duck runs are usually fairly wet and moist add in some fairly warm temps and you could potentially have an issue greater than running out of food. I don't leave stuff out out for longer than an hour and if they haven't eaten it, it gets picked up.
I might offer the same foods another day to see if they want to give it a try, but I don't leave it in the run. Even with my chickens I don't leave food in the run.
I only keep dry food in their coop. Then outside I trash all the food daily and refill the next morning when I let them out. I never let them eat old food

Back
Top Bottom