Ran out of duck food can I feed just corn

One of the issues I forsee is what if they don't eat any of the extras that are offered? My ducks are the pickiest when it comes to food. They are offered their feed at all times, but they won't eat everything that gets offered to them when I do offer treats. I have to pick it up and throw it to the chickens or throw it away. An example is peas - my ducks refuse to eat peas. As well, last night I thew some field corn in - they turned their bills up at it.
Also, are you offering canned corn or frozen? If canned, then it should be rinsed as canned contains a lot of extra salt that they don't need.
Birdseed might be an alternative short term. But, again if they are picky plus throw in duck's being leery towards anything new - I'd go out of my way to get their feed - whether it's ordering it and paying more or driving extra.
I also stock up - not because of the distance - but because I hate shopping for all things.

One of the issues I forsee is what if they don't eat any of the extras that are offered? My ducks are the pickiest when it comes to food. They are offered their feed at all times, but they won't eat everything that gets offered to them when I do offer treats. I have to pick it up and throw it to the chickens or throw it away. An example is peas - my ducks refuse to eat peas. As well, last night I thew some field corn in - they turned their bills up at it.
Also, are you offering canned corn or frozen? If canned, then it should be rinsed as canned contains a lot of extra salt that they don't need.
Birdseed might be an alternative short term. But, again if they are picky plus throw in duck's being leery towards anything new - I'd go out of my way to get their feed - whether it's ordering it and paying more or driving extra.
I also stock up - not because of the distance - but because I hate shopping for all things.
I agree in the future it would be best to stock up. I buy 150lbs of feed at a time and place my order for the next shipment as soon as I'm down to 50lbs. This leaves plenty of time for my next shipment to arrive and no possibility of running out of feed.

Quote from the first post in the thread:

Out of duck food, can i feed just cracked corn for awhile?

So the corn is not canned or frozen, it is dry corn meant for animal food. No need to worry about extra salt or anything else that might show up in "people" food.

Quote from the first post in the thread:

So the corn is not canned or frozen, it is dry corn meant for animal food. No need to worry about extra salt or anything else that might show up in "people" food.
Yep just animal corn, I do have some frozen (no salt) corn I could use too if that would be better?

Yep just animal corn, I do have some frozen (no salt) corn I could use too if that would be better?
The animal-grade corn is probably better for the ducks, if they will eat it.

Corn for people is usually bred to have more sugar, and is harvested at a younger age to also have more sugar. More sugar might make it taste better to us, but it will not be healthier for the ducks ;)

I tried to give it to them, they won’t eat it 😞
I would try to leave some available to the ducks for now, because they might eat it after they think about it for a while.

That goes for anything that you think might be good for them right now, that they currently do not want to eat.

Some kinds of animals will try just a bite or two of a new food, wait a day to see if it makes them sick, then try a bit more the next day-- leaving it available means they can keep trying it if they want to. And even if they won't try it now, they may get bored in a few days and decide to sample it.

I wouldn't leave perishable foods out for too long for ducks. Botulism would be a concern as well as mold since duck runs are usually fairly wet and moist add in some fairly warm temps and you could potentially have an issue greater than running out of food. I don't leave stuff out out for longer than an hour and if they haven't eaten it, it gets picked up.
I might offer the same foods another day to see if they want to give it a try, but I don't leave it in the run. Even with my chickens I don't leave food in the run.

Back
Top Bottom