Random Death

IizChicken

In the Brooder
May 1, 2018
Sadly my most favorite chicken just turned up dead this morning. She was a 14-week salmon faverolle and was peeping are quite happy this morning with no signs of anything it seems. I went back to check on them around 12 and found her lying on the ground dead. Ants had already found her but there is no reason for her death. She wasn’t bleeding or injured nor was anything broken I’m pretty sure. Is there a disease that could cause this and I need to move the others? Could she have eaten something?

Oh no, am so sorry about your chicken. How strange. Are you sure you didn't see any wounds on her? She didn't act strange before you last saw her? Are your chickens free range? Perhaps she was bitten by a poisonous snake or spider.

Sadly my most favorite chicken just turned up dead this morning. She was a 14-week salmon faverolle and was peeping are quite happy this morning with no signs of anything it seems. I went back to check on them around 12 and found her lying on the ground dead. Ants had already found her but there is no reason for her death. She wasn’t bleeding or injured nor was anything broken I’m pretty sure. Is there a disease that could cause this and I need to move the others? Could she have eaten something?
I'm sorry to hear about your pullet :hugs
There is no way to know what happened unless you have a necropsy/testing. What state do you live in, we can help your look up your state lab if you wish to send the body in.
You could do an informal internal examination yourself if that's something you wish to do. Post some photos, sometimes we can help figure it out.

I'm sorry to hear about your pullet :hugs
There is no way to know what happened unless you have a necropsy/testing. What state do you live in, we can help your look up your state lab if you wish to send the body in.
You could do an informal internal examination yourself if that's something you wish to do. Post some photos, sometimes we can help figure it out.

I am in NC and we sadly have already put her in the ground.

Oh no, am so sorry about your chicken. How strange. Are you sure you didn't see any wounds on her? She didn't act strange before you last saw her? Are your chickens free range? Perhaps she was bitten by a poisonous snake or spider.

Yes there were no wounds or blood on her and she loves attention so she was just being her this morning. They have a penned in run with no top but we don’t really have any poisonous snakes around my area. I do think that she could have been bitten by something small though but there would probably be signs for that maybe?

No poisonous snakes in your area? Be glad! I found a copperhead in my greenhouse once, and I was standing too close to him for comfort before I even saw him! :thThe hoe took care of him.

I am in NC and we sadly have already put her in the ground.
I understand :hugs

I hope you don't lose anymore, but if you do and want to find out, NC has 4 labs - Elkin, Fletcher/Arden, Raleigh and Monroe. If you live near one of those, you should be able to take the body right to them, otherwise you can ship it, they should have labels you can print. The info should be on the website, but they do accept phone calls as well.
http://www.ncagr.gov/vet/ncvdl/

Back
Top Bottom