Random death

JimmyJam86

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2022
Hey all,

Was hoping I may be able to get some ideas as to why our favourite chicken died today.

Our favourite Olive Egger laid her first egg this morning which my youngest was absolutely over the moon about and then when he’s gone to see the chickens this afternoon he’s found her dead in the coop. He is absolutely devastated (we all are really)

Few things I was wondering whether it could have contributed but really interested in your opinions.

- approx 6 months old and laid her first egg this morning in the nesting box

- it was excessively hot today and my wife gave them some frozen berries and watered down a couple of areas within the coop to give them some cooler areas to scratch around (they seemed to love this)

- we transitioned their food from a poultry mix to a laying pellet last week (they didn’t seem to care)

These are the only things that have been different from the norm. When I got home from work I did have a look down her throat and there is a lot of caked sand/mud lining her mouth and throat so I’m wondering if she actually just got something stuck and choked. All the others seem absolutely fine at the moment.

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

Very sorry for the loss of your olive egger today. I would recommend doing either a home necropsy looking at her organs and for egg binding as a cause. I do those myself when I lose a chicken. A better choice would be to have your state vet perform a necropsy at the state lab.

I would wonder if she might have had another egg coming along, and the first one got stuck. The other thing would be that she was too eager eating the frozen berries, and might have choked. It is really had to know what killed her without a necropsy.

I am so sorry about your hen. I second the necropsy as it will offer answers and give closure and help you stop the internal blame and offer real answers to help your son cope. (hope I am wrong on that but it’s what I sensed in your post). :hugs

Very sorry for the loss of your olive egger today. I would recommend doing either a home necropsy looking at her organs and for egg binding as a cause. I do those myself when I lose a chicken. A better choice would be to have your state vet perform a necropsy at the state lab.

I would wonder if she might have had another egg coming along, and the first one got stuck. The other thing would be that she was too eager eating the frozen berries, and might have choked. It is really had to know what killed her without a necropsy.
Thank you. I was thinking the same thing about the possibility of another egg coming along.

Just waiting for the vets to open and going to give them a call and find out if I can get a necropsy done.

Thank you again!

I am so sorry about your hen. I second the necropsy as it will offer answers and give closure and help you stop the internal blame and offer real answers to help your son cope. (hope I am wrong on that but it’s what I sensed in your post). :hugs
Thank you.

Yeah all the kids are heartbroken. She’s the only chicken we’ve got that would run straight to them, want to get picked up and would happily have a sleep in their arms.

My youngest found her and he’s so upset but my wife’s blaming herself because they’ve not had frozen berries etc before and she’s feeling it’s something to do with that.

Going to call the vets when they open and hopefully see if we can get some answers.

Thank you 🙂

Hey all,

Was hoping I may be able to get some ideas as to why our favourite chicken died today.

Our favourite Olive Egger laid her first egg this morning which my youngest was absolutely over the moon about and then when he’s gone to see the chickens this afternoon he’s found her dead in the coop. He is absolutely devastated (we all are really)

Few things I was wondering whether it could have contributed but really interested in your opinions.

- approx 6 months old and laid her first egg this morning in the nesting box

- it was excessively hot today and my wife gave them some frozen berries and watered down a couple of areas within the coop to give them some cooler areas to scratch around (they seemed to love this)

- we transitioned their food from a poultry mix to a laying pellet last week (they didn’t seem to care)

These are the only things that have been different from the norm. When I got home from work I did have a look down her throat and there is a lot of caked sand/mud lining her mouth and throat so I’m wondering if she actually just got something stuck and choked. All the others seem absolutely fine at the moment.

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)
The egg-bound guess is a good one. However, I found a few years ago out that chickens can't vomit. (who knew?!) So one must be especially careful about giving them rancid meat or dairy products, or anything that could make them very sick. Same for choking. So, given that, something like a "frozen berry" might have gotten stuck in her throat?

In general, with chicken and all animal care, ask yourself "Is this something that the animal might encounter in the wild?" Given this question, and considering your remedies for heat, would a bird in the wild encounter a wet patch of dirt, a stream, or spring: Yes! But a frozen berry? No!

Try applying this logic to all animal care...

Back
Top Bottom