Help!!! Something wrong with silkie.

HopeWoo

In the Brooder
Jun 16, 2023
My 5 month old silkie just laid her first egg yesterday. Didn’t seem unusual at all. She was absolutely fine last night. Eating and drinking, walking around. Nothing out of the norm. Went up to the coop with the others last night. This morning I found her laying still. She won’t stand up and seems incredibly lethargic. What could be wrong???

What is her diet? Can her legs still grasp?
She is on Kalmbach all flock. Give them table scraps and mealworms occasionally. I had poultry cell in the water as well. She can situate herself with her legs, but she won’t stand at all. She just keeps them tucked close

My 5 month old silkie just laid her first egg yesterday. Didn’t seem unusual at all. She was absolutely fine last night. Eating and drinking, walking around. Nothing out of the norm. Went up to the coop with the others last night. This morning I found her laying still. She won’t stand up and seems incredibly lethargic. What could be wrong???

She is on Kalmbach all flock. Give them table scraps and mealworms occasionally. I had poultry cell in the water as well. She can situate herself with her legs, but she won’t stand at all. She just keeps them tucked close
I'd get extra Calcium into her asap. You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc. Just pop the tablet into her beak and let her swallow. Give her 1 now, then daily for another 5 days.

Is she pooping at all?
Can you feel inside the vent for an egg?

Do you provide oyster shell free choice?

Work on hydration, then offer her a wet mash of feed to eat.

While you are working on her, check for lice/mites, any injury/peck marks especially to the head and check to see that her crop is emptying overnight.

Back
Top Bottom