Random Flock Pictures, Just Because

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I just happened to be taking a bunch of pictures today and thought I'd share.

The 5 July hatch cockerels in Camp Cockerel.

1009221614g.jpg

1009221615.jpg

Rameses is starting to grow his tail back after his molt but Alfredo is still looking pretty ratty.
1009221741.jpg

1009221741c.jpg

Victoria (single comb), and Maria Theresa, are growing beautifully.

1009221743.jpg

1009221743b.jpg

The girls of the July hatch. At one point I thought I had only 2 girls, from that batch and 7 boys, but when the saddles came in I was delighted to find that two I'd thought were boys were actually fast-developing girls.
1009221742c.jpg

And other lovely hens.
1009221741g.jpg

1009221743g.jpg

1009221743j.jpg

I didn't get photos of everyone. Or, at least, not photos that came out well. But I got most of them.

I just happened to be taking a bunch of pictures today and thought I'd share.

The 5 July hatch cockerels in Camp Cockerel.

View attachment 3286139
View attachment 3286140

Rameses is starting to grow his tail back after his molt but Alfredo is still looking pretty ratty.
View attachment 3286142
View attachment 3286143

Victoria (single comb), and Maria Theresa, are growing beautifully.

View attachment 3286146
View attachment 3286147

The girls of the July hatch. At one point I thought I had only 2 girls, from that batch and 7 boys, but when the saddles came in I was delighted to find that two I'd thought were boys were actually fast-developing girls.
View attachment 3286145

And other lovely hens.
View attachment 3286144
View attachment 3286148
View attachment 3286149

I didn't get photos of everyone. Or, at least, not photos that came out well. But I got most of them.

All the grey birds are Blue Australorps.

That particular pullet is a little paler than is considered optimal, but has rather nice lacing. Most of my flock is a little darker than is considered optimal, which is why I'm hoping that my splash chick turns out to be a male of good quality. :)

I think that all the shades of blue are beautiful though. :D

Mine are from Ideal -- both the Wyandotte pullets and the molting Cochin hen.
I wish I had that option, hatcheries are pretty much production birds in my province. You get your reds, you get your whites, you get your BRs and your meats. That's about it. Local breeders are pretty much the only option.

I love blue chickens, they are simply gorgeous! What is the ideal shade of blue, do you have a visual? I have been curious for some time. I love them all though, I currently have 10 blue jersey girls, but unfortunately did not end up with a boy so I cannot breed. One day, maybe. Good luck with your birds!

You have a lovely flock! I love 'Camp Cockerel'! I guess I'm about to set up my own Camp Cockerel with a currently empty coop, here, as Rooster Row is much too crowded with all of the non-keeper boys in there along with the keepers. 🤭

I know you've mentioned before appreciating the ability to sex your Australorps early by comb growth. Out of curiosity, are you concerned at all about breeding your two surprise pullets forward? I would expect their daughters would be more likely to develop faster as well, meaning they would also be kind of confusing to sex until saddle feathers came in on their brothers.

what breed is this lovely lady? the one on the right.
1009221743b-jpg.3286147

These are both Silver-Laced Wyandotes. Victoria, on the left, is non-SOP with her single comb. Maria Theresa, on the left, has the correct rose comb.

They're hatchery-grade, not show-breeder birds, but IMO, this is the prettiest of all color patterns for hens.

I wish I had that option, hatcheries are pretty much production birds in my province. You get your reds, you get your whites, you get your BRs and your meats. That's about it. Local breeders are pretty much the only option.

That's a shame. I'm surprised you can't get SLW's readily in Canada since they're one of the breeds developed for cold weather.

I love blue chickens, they are simply gorgeous! What is the ideal shade of blue, do you have a visual? I have been curious for some time. I love them all though, I currently have 10 blue jersey girls, but unfortunately did not end up with a boy so I cannot breed. One day, maybe. Good luck with your birds!

The ideal would be a medium-dark blue with strong lacing.

It's hard to get good photos of show-quality birds to compare to, but this is a Best of Breed Blue Australorp Bantam from a large show:
Blue-Australorp-Bantam-BOB-Anita-James.jpg

I know you've mentioned before appreciating the ability to sex your Australorps early by comb growth. Out of curiosity, are you concerned at all about breeding your two surprise pullets forward? I would expect their daughters would be more likely to develop faster as well, meaning they would also be kind of confusing to sex until saddle feathers came in on their brothers.

For various reasons in my personal life, I didn't get to banding that batch until they were 5 weeks. I think it works better if I can do the banding and recording earlier. It seems to be more reliable at 3-4 weeks than at 5-6 weeks.

But if I do find an ongoing issue with that I *should* be able to backtrack. My greater concern is slow-developing cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom