Random question about being "humane"....

cjeanean

Can't Decide
11 Years
Mar 5, 2008
Missouri
Not that I'm really in a position that requires it, but just in case the situation ever arises, how would you humanely kill a chick??? I hear people mentioning it, but I'm not sure what they consider "humane" I know when we would go hunting and we'd get a bird that wasn't quite dead we'd quickly break/wring its neck, is that what you guys are talking about having to do????

That depends on what YOU consider to be humane. Many believe that removing the head with a sharp pair of scissors, or breaking the neck is the best way. Others fume them out. Others put them in ziplock baggies and put them in the freezer. I am of the school of thought that the head removal or the breaking of the neck is the most quick and painless thing for the chick, even if it is not always the easiest thing for us as people. Hope I have been of help.

I unfortunately have had to do this...when I had a couple hard hatches last year...and again not soo terribly long ago when my dog (it's always the same 1 of the 6) broke an older chicks neck and she was slowly dieing (couldn't have saved her.) It really, really, really sucks, but the easiest way is a pair of sharp scizzors. I suppose a hatchet, like on a table would work too if need be, but a young chick (>week) has a neck so soft it's easy to cut through, unlike how hard it is in an older bird.
The whole 'neck ringing' thing, as well as a few other options just seem to give the bird a few seconds to suffer and that only leaes you suffering, not the bird.
HTH,
Kristi

Okay, that's what I thought.....I just wasn't sure if the ppl here would be the type to break their necks or use shears, so I was wondering what other ways might be "humane"......the freezing is HORRIBLE (my opinion) even to me, and I grew up hunting and fishing....I know it's sad to have a chickie die (I've only had two of them go, but still) but I wouldn't be able to handle thinking of it sitting in the freezer.....Thanks for the info!!!!!!

If I had to do it I would go for removing the head or a clean neck break...freezing is painful..Imagine frostbite times 10...I could not imagine doing that because it is not 'instantaneous'. Just my opinion.

I faced this same issue and after a lot of opinion gathering and thought, steeled myself and used the hatchet method (it was an older chick - about 6 wks old - too old for scissors)

It was not the most fun thing I've ever done, for sure, but a quick beheading was the most humane way to dispatch a chick that was obviously suffering and would not be able to live a quality life anywhere in the range of 'normal'.

Here's my thread on the topic - there's lots of good input there from others on the forum.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32170

Back
Top Bottom