Random Thoughts About Coop Ventilation

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Weehopper, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    We are always hearing about good ventilation in coops. What never seems to be mentioned is the fact that the ammonia fumes produced in the manure is heavier than air. Which means the fumes hang just above the floor. So, it might not hurt to install ventilation near the floor of the coop, as well as higher up. Breathing fumes is not good for any animals or humans. Happy chickens are productive chickens.

2. OEG Lifer

OEG Lifer Out Of The Brooder

Should always have ventilation at the top and bottom of the coop.

3. Mike26726

Mike26726 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Would you add ventilation on both sides top and bottom? I Ask because I am still planning my coop also

4. kueblercoop

kueblercoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2015
    My coop just went up, I have ventilation on the top, both sides, however I do not have any on the bottom. Any suggestions on adding this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. OEG Lifer

OEG Lifer Out Of The Brooder

Kueblercoop, make their coop door of wire and you're set. I leave my chicken door open most of the time as I'm comfortable with my secure run.

6. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    Yes, ventilation at floor/chicken level is a good idea. Was incorporated in the 100+ yr old Wood's coop design, shown below.

[​IMG]

7. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    What a beautiful coop! Love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by