randomly dying chickens

If you just got your chickens, they could have anything. That's why it is recommended to quarantine new birds for a month. It gives time for those birds to show illness. If they are only going to be 6 months old at the end of November, I would definitely treat for Coccidiosis.

Leadwolf1 has offered you the very best advice. We had one die this year from the very same thing. The blood in the feces only showed up one day before he died. It's also very uncommon for 6 month old chickens to be still piling up at night. Normally at that age they have learned how to roost. Have they always been piling up at night?

Hello and welcome from "the rolling hills" of Kentucky. So sorry to hear of your loss and best wishes to you. We hope you get it under control very soon.

Editing to add:

The drugs most often used in treating cocci are Corid & Sulmet

Last edited:

sorry about your loss. i hope the corid works.

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I see you got some good advice here. Best of luck!

Thank you for the vote of confidence.

The OP posted that these chickens will be 6 months old at the end of November. Right now, they are only about 14 weeks old. I'm not surprised that they are still piling and not roosting, especially since they have only been in their new home for two weeks. They are still babies.
Leadwolf1 has offered you the very best advice. We had one die this year from the very same thing. The blood in the feces only showed up one day before he died. It's also very uncommon for 6 month old chickens to be still piling up at night. Normally at that age they have learned how to roost. Have they always been piling up at night?

Hello and welcome from "the rolling hills" of Kentucky. So sorry to hear of your loss and best wishes to you. We hope you get it under control very soon.

Editing to add:

The drugs most often used in treating cocci are Corid & Sulmet

are there natural ways to treat it? Can my dog or kids get it?
I only use natural treatments. Every time I have a sick chicken, I give it a few doses orally of cayenne pepper in water. You can use a plastic medicine syringe. How many and how big the doses are depends on how sick the chicken is. For me, it has always worked as long as the chicken isn't too far gone. Cayenne is an effective coccidiostat and antibacterial.
Supposedly the "heat" chemical in cayenne pepper doesn't affect chickens at all.
Last bout of sickness, I gave them vitamin C too in case it was a virus.

During sickness, I also put cayenne in the community water to stop the spread of the disease.

I wanted to let you know about the natural treatment. I'm sorry about your chickens and I hope you can cure the remaining ones!

Thank you for the vote of confidence.

The OP posted that these chickens will be 6 months old at the end of November. Right now, they are only about 14 weeks old. I'm not surprised that they are still piling and not roosting, especially since they have only been in their new home for two weeks. They are still babies.
Aw my fault. I only read the original first post by the op which made this statement.

"""Ok i am a new chicken owner and have lost 3 chickens in2 weeks. the chickens are about 6 months old. they are white rocks and new hampshire reds. they sleep in a pile at night."""

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only later did it state the true age.[/FONT]

Last edited:
I only use natural treatments. Every time I have a sick chicken, I give it a few doses orally of cayenne pepper in water. You can use a plastic medicine syringe. How many and how big the doses are depends on how sick the chicken is. For me, it has always worked as long as the chicken isn't too far gone. Cayenne is an effective coccidiostat and antibacterial.
Supposedly the "heat" chemical in cayenne pepper doesn't affect chickens at all.
Last bout of sickness, I gave them vitamin C too in case it was a virus.

During sickness, I also put cayenne in the community water to stop the spread of the disease.

I wanted to let you know about the natural treatment. I'm sorry about your chickens and I hope you can cure the remaining ones!
Adding the cayenne to community water sounds interesting. How much would you add to a gallon of water?

No fault, I just wanted to let you know...I missed it a couple times myself.
Aw my fault. I only read the original first post by the op which made this statement.

"""Ok i am a new chicken owner and have lost 3 chickens in2 weeks. the chickens are about 6 months old. they are white rocks and new hampshire reds. they sleep in a pile at night."""

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only later did it state the true age.[/FONT]

Back
Top Bottom