randomly mates?!?!

sunriserooster1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 21, 2013
2 out of my 9 chickens- the smallest rooster and the biggest rode island red have randomly started to mate?!?! And they are kinda young.Also the male has started to grow spurs and im getting a little worried, my chickens has just started laying there first eggs about roughly.. 1-2 months ago.. should i be worried.. should i be happy because i might have chicks? i have only had my chickens for not even a full year! What should i do?!?!
th.gif
he.gif

i think the one behind the road island red, thats the biggest road island red!

the yellow and the black tail, thats the rooster as you can see!

Oh my goodness that's totally normal. The unusual thing is that they started mating 2 months AFTER she started laying. Usually they start before.

That's what roosters do!

I'd be worried about the 2 roosters to 7 hens. Once those guys hit their stride with the mating, your girls may get ganged up on and that's just miserable. You need to keep an eye on your girls for signs of overmating and consider removing one rooster if necessary. Overmated hens struggle violently against mating, have behavioral issues, bare backs, don't lay as well and are generally more susceptible to diseases or parasites due to stress. They also have more behavioral issues like picking/cannibalism.

You can also find tutorials on depurring roosters online if you would like to do that.

I don't think 2 roosters to 7 hens is all that bad, actually. I have 22 chickens in a big pen, and 7 of those are roosters. That leaves only about 2 hens per rooster! But they all grew up in that pen, some younger than others, and they get along fine.

Of course each chicken and each rooster is different. So you'll want to keep an eye on them regardless. But I don't think it's as bad as many people make it out to be, with that ratio.

Well I have only known that they have been mating for about 2-3 weeks #chippysmom327

Also the male has just started to puff up @ the neck and i stuck my foot out and he attacked it. About 1-2 days ago and the first time i tried and grabbed him and he puffed i thought he was just kinda scared ( remember i reached for the front ) and then i tried for for the back then he swung back and puffed up @ me so i knew he was starting to be aggressive also keep in mind i have never had him do this to me before so i freaked out a little also my friend said that my chickens ( since i feed them of corse ) they would follow me around, i thought it was true.So for the past week ( last week ) i personally fed them myself and they did not do anything so i though "Nope this is stupid" so i go out there with someone ( sometimes), was it true even thought it is off topic but i was just wondering?! Thanks!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom