Randy cockerel, is he doing it right?

Tammys kevin

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 25, 2012
This is the first cockeral ive had, 5month silkie cross cockerel Peewee has been trying to get with the hens, he's much smaller than the purebred silkies and tiny compared to my Sussex hens, but he still tries his hardest. Whenever he jumps on their backs and grabs their crests the hens just fling him off and beat him up, he gets maybe 3 seconds. Is this long enough to fertilise the eggs, or is this just "practice"?

Even if he's fertile now (seems a bit young, still, but you never know), it'll be awkward until he is full-sized. He'll continue to grow until he's about a year. Then he'll be more the size of your Silkies--probably a bit bigger.

Yeah, this is just practice. Its unlikely that he's being successful so far in fertilizing the hens. Roosters need time to learn how to mount a hen. My young cockerels always have trouble in the beginning; they fall face-first to the ground, mount the hen backwards, topple over the hen's tail, or fall off sideways. When your rooster becomes bigger and more dominant, he will have an easier time breeding.

This morning he tried to mount an aggressive silkie hen, she grabbed him by the crest and marched him around the yard for about ten minutes while he cried, reminded me of my grandmother grabbing my brother by the ear and dragging him to his room when we were children lol

Back
Top Bottom