14 Years
Oct 5, 2008
Minneapolis
"What are you and That Guy doing for Valentine's Day?"
"Nothing."
"NOTHING?!"
"No. We never do."
"And you stay with him.. why?"

Because he's put up with my crud for 8 years with grace and good humour, no matter how crazy it gets, and it can get VERY crazy at times.

Because when life blows up in my face, he's there with cocoa, a brownie, and lots and lots of hugs, reassuring me that it'll all be ok.

Because when there are days I am in too much pain to get out of bed, he makes sure I don't HAVE to get out of bed.

Because if I needed one day's worth of gestures to reassure myself that he loves me, I would be the stupidest woman on earth.

Why is it that everyone who asks me this type of question is a woman who reacts exactly the same? Every single one assumes it's That Guy's fault we don't celebrate V-Day in some gooey, pancreas-killing fashion, when *I* am the one who loathes pink, gets sad when there are cut and dying flowers around, and thinks a perfect date involves ogling animals, movies with lots of gunfights and explosions, greasy pizza, and a trip to a bookstore. He thinks about me all the time and brings me odd little things he finds that he thinks will make me happy, like tiny aspen pine cones or mini acorns or alpaca finger puppets or pictures of tigers playing in snow. When I come home with more birds than I said I was going to get, he doesn't even sigh, he just asks how much bigger we need to build the coop.

GAH!!!
barnie.gif
he.gif
Why are some women SO DUMB?! Grr!

And why is it that HE would be the bad guy for not doing roses, chocolates, and romance.. but nobody ever asks if I do those things for him? I don't, but that's because I know he wouldn't like those things. But nobody asks.

-Spooky

I would rather have random romance surprises all year than just one day. My husband always asks why I don't want the flowers, candy, etc, I say "Do you know how much fabric I could buy with what you would spend?"
lol.png

Quote:
Amen, sista!! I'll take care of my own gifts if you want to spend money.

A surprise $5 grocery store bouquet any day of the year means more than a have to gift.

All I would really like from my love is a nice card telling mehow much he loves me. It would be nice to be able to go out for dinner, but the restaurants are all so crowded, I don't need chocolate, I love roses but don't need or expect them. If i get them, FABULOUS. If I don't, FABULOUS.

What I would really like for that day is an empty house.
big_smile.png

I wouldn't say no to some Godiva chocolates, or heck even Hershey's kisses, but I don't need that silly Valentines stuff either. Thoughtfulness through out the year goes a whole lot farther.

yup..its all the things he does ALL year long....breakfast in bed....running ALL the errands....grocery shopping.....cooking an awesome spoon roast meal all by himself a couple of nights ago....its what he does every day for me....without EVEN being asked!........actually I should do something for HIM for Valentines Day!...I'm one lucky chick...for sure!....
love.gif

Quote:
Exactly! That Guy doesn't ask, he just brings me random little things, and stories to go with how or where he found them. It's great to hear, "I was {place} and saw {thing} and it reminded me of that time {something involving me}. I thought you might like it, so I brought it home for you."

-Spooky

i get a glass bluebird and some sewing supplies every year for valentines day, and i love it!!
big_smile.png

i can get or make some candy any time i need/want it so its no big deal.
as for flowers, i pick my own in the spring..the kids and i load up and hit the back roads for wildflower picking.

I agree- we don't celebrate the greeting card holiday either, by my choice. I would rather a $5.00 bouquet any other day, than the $20 they charge on Valentine's Day! Plus, celebrating Valentine's Day ONCE a year almost lets them feel like they get off the rest of the year.... I don't think so!

Back
Top Bottom