Rant/ ON:, Newbie ranting about those that HATE the idea of BYC, etc.

baltimoreharps

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Cabarrus Co.
Hi all, this is Baltimoreharps DW.
frow.gif

We're both proud new chicken owners and have been researching a lot on how to be self sufficient and get off the grid so to speak. We have 6 chickens, and 3 squirrels that we got dropped into our laps and one cat and we're saving our money for a mini farm.

We're looking at getting half of a steer to process (one of those where you buy the steer and the seller keeps it on his land until you're ready to butcher it). Makes sense to me... FIL absolutely BLASTED dh for having such an "off the wall idea" and that we're "blowing through our savings" by doing this. We actually haven't spent $1 of savings (Whaa???
hu.gif
)
Keep in mind that this is the same person that less than a week ago encouraged us to invest in some popular gypsum cyprus trees for a long term investment in something other than savings or stock market investments.
When we did so, he was hesitant. (DH bought 100 as the down side was minimal if anything happened to the trees)
he.gif

Now, we're 'officially off the wall' in his opinion because of the half cow that WE DO NOT HOUSE on our land at all, but leave with the seller until butchering time.. Of course, he lives in a subdivision and can't stand any of the people that he lives with.
barnie.gif

I get SO tired of ppl that live in thier own little box and expect everyone else to live the exact same way.
tongue.gif

It wouldn't be so bad if he was city, he was raised dirt poor country and now rejects EVERYTHING that has to do with good honest farming. I'm a 3rd generation farmer and I resent the fact that he's so ashamed of us country people that he hides the fact that he was one himself and blasts us for raising our family in a wholesome environment that includes everything that his grandkids WANT to have, only to have them looked down on for doing so...
somad.gif
/rant off
Thanks for letting me vent and thank you for this forum. I've learned SO much since I have the girls and so has dh.

Last edited:
Don't beat yourself up about him.... live your life as your choose, let him live his.... you will be the richer for it and you won't be hungry..... Good luck....

Thank you English Mom. Very true and wise.
If I could only get FIL to see that.
He told us today that we should go out and get meat at the grocery store like everyone else.
That REALLY rubs me the wrong way.
barnie.gif

I'll take my chooks and my half cow, TYVM.

Last edited:
Quote:
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

Omg, you're so crazy for cutting out the middle man, and getting your meat from the source. You're so silly for wanting quality meat. Why not board up your windows, cut off outside air, only have artificial light, and eat plastic.

tongue.gif

Water off a ducks back. That's what is comments should be like to you.

Just wait til the beef is ready to eat. I bet he'll have no objections to sharing some with you then.

Quote:
very wise, very good advice. the world needs more people like you
smile.png

i agree with this post.

venting is okay, too. it feels better to let people know how you feel/think so long as people remember that it is your opinion and your thoughts so as not to be judgmental or to criticize you. thank you for sharing.

Quote:
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif

Omg, you're so crazy for cutting out the middle man, and getting your meat from the source. You're so silly for wanting quality meat. Why not board up your windows, cut off outside air, only have artificial light, and eat plastic.

tongue.gif

TOTALLY in agreement with this!! I just do not get the mindset that goes along with it...
idunno.gif

Oh wait, they don't open the windows, have the "green" bulbs and have curtains over the windows at all times lest someone sees in...

Stopping because I DO love my fil, but I am MAD at him for upsetting dh!

Quote:
Hey there, Hen Mama! Thank you for the welcome!

I'm trying, it just makes dh SO angry and it hurts me to see him hurting so much..
sad.png

He tries so hard to please his father, (lots of history that doesn't need to be rehased) but this one was the last straw. Apparently,our newest venture stepped on fil's toes...
Too bad because we're going ahead and doing what's best with our family.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
that is HORRIBLE! i broke up with a guy because i told him i was going to go out hunting moose and i's be gone a month so my family could have some meat in the freezer. he said just that.

I am native Alaskan! not once in my life have i bought meat at the store! i refuse to eat cow meat unless:

1) i raised it myself.

2) i know where the cow is coming from and can visually see where it was raised and it is free-range.

3) i hunted & killed it myself in southeast asia where the "wild" form of cow is not domestic.

4) it is on a pizza
tongue.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom