1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RANT: Tractor Supply won't sell less than six chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by spacecowgirl, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Get somone you know who has chickens/chicks to buy the 6 and you buy the 2?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  2. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    I was told the MIN was 8. They made me buy 8... and when one died less than 2 hours later I went back... and the manager was like "all sales final that's why we make you buy 8 so when 3/4ths die you will still have a chicken" I tell him that's TOTALLY WRONG. He just went "we aren't responsible for people who don't know how to take care of their chicks." Needless to say... I made a scene. I told him that I DO know what I'm doing and the fact that I have 30 healthy chickens at home already says that. Well he laughed at me with his arms crossed. So I told him that I would call corporate headquarters. He told me "come back at 7 am to talk to the manager" I told him his store doesn't open till 8. He laughed and told me to wait outside. I went storming out... but was stopped by a cashier who had called the store owner and told him what was going on. The manger had told her to go back and get another chick because he had heard over the phone what the manager had said. So the cashier went back and grabbed me a new chick. She said she had no idea what kind it was but she went for a very active one. The cashier said the manager shouldn't have said any of that. **NO KIDDING** I refuse to shop there now. I think they just make up this stuff as the feel like. I had someone else tell me that they were told a 10 chick min. So take that for what it is....

3. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Hahahah!! [​IMG]

4. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012

So basically, based on what this idiot says, if you buy from TSC you can expect 3/4 to die????? I canr even begin to comment on that one. I'm with you, I find that when I shop at big box stores and I have a question, people just say whatever to get me to move along. ATROCIOUS!

5. Young Farmer

Young Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    Bedford NH
    I think its good that there is a 6 chick min. It insures the health of the chicks. I have 12 in my garrage right now that i got from TSC and all are healthy and growing

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. spacecowgirl

spacecowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    Holy cow!!! That is just terrible! I'm glad that manager got caught in the act of being horribly rude and you were compensated. I felt I was treated rudely as well, but not THAT bad!!

But, great news, everyone!! My wonderful husband found a hatchery nearby and we went out there today. It was a 20 minute drive, but I talked to the lady through email and on the phone beforehand and she was so nice and said I could have as few as one if I wanted. ( Since it was pick-up )

She only had EEs and Leghorns at the moment, the other chicks were already spoken for, but that's two of the breeds I wanted. She is hatching Copper Marans and Jersey Giants in four days, but I thought I'd go ahead and go check it out. It was amazing!! She gave us a tour of her whole farm, and all of her amazingly beautiful chickens! She had everything from Silkies, Frizzles, Braumas, Wyandottes, Bantams, Barred Rock ( she said she'll let me know when she hatches them next cause I've always wanted some! ), just about everything and they were all very healthy and well taken care of.

We got two adorable EEs and a Leghorn. They are chirping happily away as I sit here typing. [​IMG] Also, since I already have one rooster and that's enough, if any of them turn out to be roosters she volunteered to help rehome them if I can't find a home for them. Also, at 2 bucks a pop, that beats TSCs prices, and I couldn't ask more in the way of service! I know where I'm getting my chicks from from now on. She also shows her chickens and they are of very high quality and beauty.

Unfortunately I had to go to TSC immediately after to get chick starter food, because there is nowhere else around to buy it that I know of. They had one puny looking tub of chicks at $2.69 apiece, and yes, many with pasty butt. I was hoping the employees from yesterday would be there so I could say "neiner neiner neiner", but I didn't see them. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    TSC and Rural King in Ohio has min 6. Our Rural King just had a special on 99 cents a chick, reg 1.29. Still not bad, you don't have to depend on post office and no shipping costs.

8. Deviant

Deviant Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    Fluvanna
    I'm sorry but IF i would have seen that I would have gone OFF big time [​IMG]

yea the man at this store let me pick them out and put them in the box and he was not even looking I could have put 10 in there and paid for 6 lol BUT I don't want to bring any bad luck around my new Tetra Tints chicks but I could have ;) lol

9. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

My TSC Had a limit of 6 chicks and wouldnt let me touch them to look at them. i like to examine them before buying to make sure i get what i want and they are healthy. they wouldnt even let me see them or open the box till i was out of the store. i went in for 3 came out with 6. and they were 3 bucks each!!
    i bought chicks 2 years ago and they let me hold them and look at them. Why did they change?? it was annoying!!

Then i go to me local feed store the next day and they had chicks and they let me hold them and look at them and they were $1 each and i could buy min of one if i wanted.

TSC will do anything to make money

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  10. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    1) TSC is following STATE law. Don't like it, don't go there and then complain here. Sorry, but I don't like hearing the same complaint about TSC.
    2) You can't touch the chicks because of other store goers ruining it for us all. They handled the chicks and didn't wash their hands afterwards and got salmonella. Again, if you don't like the rules, don't go there.

Thankfully I have been in TSC enough to know most of the staff. The manager lets me touch the chicks - minimally - and lets me pick the ones I want. I know when what chicks are coming in - only surprise is the exact breeds (they don't know until they are delivered).

Really, there are other ways to get what you want. Hatch your own eggs, buy older chicks locally from a farmer, order from a hatchery that ships only 3 chicks. There is no reasoning behind complaining about rules that are set for a reason and bad mouthing a company that doesn't deserve it.

3 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by