RANT: Tractor Supply won't sell less than six chicks!!!

That's how I got into chickens. The feed store would only sell my son six, but the city only allowed three at the time. Now, I have a dozen, and my son gave up on chickens.
barnie.gif

Last edited:
In maine, its our state law, 6 chick minimum if you by from a store but you can buy any number direct from the farm. once they are over 8 weeks old (seems a bit too old) you can buy any number at the store. some cities say people can only have 4, so that makes it hard, what do you do with the extra 2 you had to buy?

Many states do indeed have a minimum number of chicks you can buy (usually those that are younger than 4 weeks). In NH the minimum is 12. In ME the minimum is 8 I believe. Now these are the regulations for businesses such as Agway, TSC, etc. Private sellers aren't held to the same requirements provided they're selling on their own property.

You'll have to get in touch with your state's Dept of Agriculture to see what the state requires.

Here at our local TSC it is six chicks minimum. If you go in at the busier times of the day it is not hard to find someone to split a box with you.

Roanoke, Virginia's TS has the 6 chick minimum and I believe the Southern States does as well...they say it is state rule.

yea that is true I don't mind the whole buy 6 rule just because I want to start with 6. BUT if you buy 6 can you buy 2 more so you have 8 or is it 6 at a time so you would have to buy 12? LOL I should go in and ask that and when they say "you have to buy 6 at a time" then I would tell them that I want 100 BUT 6 does not go into 100 and come out even lol ok it is too early and I need sleep
caf.gif

Our Rural King has always had 25 chick minimum. That's a lot of chicks. I never bought chicks from them. And yeah, it was at least in part to keep people right before Easter from buying a chick for their kids that they couldn't/wouldn't take care of...but 25 is still a lot. Sometimes when you walk in there are even dead ones back in the corners being trampled on by the other chicks, waterers are empty, etc. I can't look anymore. My neighbor went there at closing and found them throwing some weak ones in the DUMPSTER and took them all. They just needed some TLC and they are fine. Of course, they are all ROOS.

Here in MA our TSC's all have the 6 chick min. I went in yesterday and bought 7. You can mix and match any combo you want of chicks as long as you get a minimum total of 6.

Back
Top Bottom