Rare Assortment from MPC, hatched 8/24

Liddy

Songster
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
I think I have figured out what these all are but I would love confirmation!

I ordered 3 GLW and 3 Partridge Cochins, with 15 assorted Rares. I live in the hinterlands (one of my neighbors describes getting to our Tiny Town as, "Go to the end of the world (Bangor) and then drive three hours north") and did not understand the shipping logistics nor did I realize that the chicks were not coming from elsewhere in NE but from OH. They arrived in the Hampden sorting facility an hour after the last truck came north, and sat for 18 hours until the next one. Four were DOA and three others did not last until I got home from my training class. Much love to that neighbor who went to the local PO and met the truck at 6:30am, brought the chicks to my coop shed, tended them for an hour, and left most of them happily cheeping in the brooder.

The beige pullet in these pics is my only home girl, out of 6 chicks my broody raised. I suspect she is the one that produced the egg this Tuesday. A fine first effort, at 1.8 oz!

The Brown Leghorn rooster is my TSC 99-cent season-end special from 20 months ago. He was the whipping boy for my similarly-priced Dixie Rainbow brute until I moved him to his own flock of halfling hens this past weekend. (Poor guy spent the first 15 minutes gulping food and fending off exploratory pecks at those lovely earlobes.)

I know the flock includes a White Cochin, two Fayoumis, one GLW, an EE, a Golden Campine, one Ancona, and four dark Cochins (I believe two of the Partridges I ordered and two Blacks). The ones I am not certain of are the left-most rear pullet, behind the WC, which might be a Wellie but has yellow legs, and the one to her right, which is one of two that might be Partridge Penedesencas. Here's a better pic of one of those.

Until I tried to photograph these ladies, I never knew just how uncooperative they can be!

Any suggestions or corrections? I'm only a second-year chicken wrangler. Any and all input/advice is appreciated1

Last edited:
The bottom picture looks like a partridge rock. The other one isn't a welsummer, it has white earlobe, I'm thinking brown leghorn.

Thank you!

Well, Partridge Rock is great because they are cold-hardy.
clap.gif
It was -16 Tuesday morning at 8 as I was heading out.

I'm not sure I would consider a Brown Leghorn very rare.
idunno.gif
The curious thing about that pullet is that, until about a month ago, she looked just like the Golden Campine. I thought I had two of them, a brace of them, like the Fayoumis. Those actually looked like gold and silver versions of the same breed at first, too. One day I looked in and only saw one Golden Campine. Counted and they were all present...the hen in question grew drab (in comparison) almost overnight!

I cannot totally see that one, I looked a bit at MPC, my second favorite site, does that hen have a slight crest behind her comb.

Zooming in on that pic on my phone, it does look like she has a little tuft of feathers behind her combs. It's difficult to tell from the photo. I'll examine her more closely tomorrow. I tucked them in with a warm meal several hours ago.

I'm learning so much from this place! Reading through this topic has given me new eyes for paying attention to the various details on the birds.

Thank you!

If she has tufts she could be a cream legbar, so check her out tomorrow.
Edit to add what color are her legs, drinking is another possibility.

Last edited:
*headdesk*

I believe she is a Brown Leghorn, and one of the two missing chicks.

When the Dixie Rainbow went broody in early Aug, I parked her in my dog`s old crate and for a few days, when I found an egg still hot from the hen, I stuck it under her. I decided to add a flock and ordered the chicks from MPC. I was fortunate enough to time the hatch date of the shipped chicks to the middle of the home-grown hatching.

My friend who dealt with the new arrivals told me at the time that he tried to put the weakest in with Mama Broody but it was not a success. Dollars to donuts he pulled out a BL home girl when he separated the chicks. He wouldn't have known how many were under her to start with and I know he was stressed by the situation.

Last edited:
And she has begun! I was out in the coop shed, working on building a brooder, when I heard the egg song. It was little Lulu, the lone leghorn in Coop Med ("where the hen party never ends"), just leaving the nesting box! A perfect miniature white egg sat where she had been.
wee.gif
I know at least 5 of the 15 pullets in there are producing eggs. One today was a JUMBO!
D.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom