Rare chicken breeds desired for their meat qualities?

I'd love to hear more answers. I am tempted to get one or two birds of a few different breeds to 'taste test' before I jump into raising birds for meat. The more I research culling and processing birds, the more I am turned off by grocery store meat.
Some people swear that Easter Eggers taste like quail......The Brown Leghorns in the Pullman cars bring back memories of farm neighbors who used young White Leghorn and Austra White cockerels back in the 1950'S for fryers.....They were delicious, but farm boys during those long ago years ate all kinds of things: Bugs, worms, grasshoppers to name a few!

Well Bill, glad my grandfather wasnt into the bugs, worms and grasshopper group! His family raised white cornish cross during the depression era. And yes, being 67 years old, I remember it tasting delicious. Fortunately it wasnt the same quality as the grocery store bird we purchase today. A lot of our heritage breeds of today lack the quality in which they were bred for. Most breeders still have that inheritant knack to know the difference and fulfill the standards of perfection to keep these birds intact with those qualities. You may still find a leghorn or an austra white cockerel tasting good from the right person. Check out The Society for Preservation of Poultry Antiquities. S.P.P.A . Theres another teaching group that visits farms to assist poultry growers in education for preservation of breeds and quality. Its a Michigan based org. Cant remember the name. Holly Michigan?:rolleyes:

Very interesting thread. I am raising breeding stock this year. so, except for culls, no eating here. We have 7 white bresse that are getting pretty big (hatched) 4/28. at 3 months they are looking pretty nice. Also they are a very pretty bird with their bright red combs and blue legs. The feathers on the wings are so smooth and white. I imagine like ANGEL wings!
love.gif

We also have Buckeyes from a VERY reputable breeder and have one that may need to be culled.

Last edited:
Very interesting thread. I am raising breeding stock this year. so, except for culls, no eating here. We have 7 white bresse that are getting pretty big (hatched) 4/28. at 3 months they are looking pretty nice. Also they are a very pretty bird with their bright red combs and blue legs. The feathers on the wings are so smooth and white. I imagine like ANGEL wings!
love.gif

We also have Buckeyes from a VERY reputable breeder and have one that may need to be culled.

I'm very interested in both of these. How are their demeanor. Quiet, loud or mean? The Buckeyes, do they get a lot bigger than the Bresse?

The Bresse I have are a good bit older than my Buckeyes. But I've seen some adult buckeyes and I think the Bresse are going to be a little larger. The Bresse IS prmarily a meat bird, and the Buckeyes are DUAL purpose. SO, I would expect the Bresse to be larger.

I realy like the demanor of the Buckeyes. They are friendly and chatty but not overly loud. The Bresse are a little flighty but not bad. They are some of the loudest when the see the food thing coming (ME)
smile.png

Regin,hmmm, in reality the bresse are more claimed for their meat than their size as you so stated. Close call between that of a buckeye and a bresse for size and weight. Rare meat birds desired for their meat qualities? Both are easily accessible in the U.S. but are more pricey than rare in my perspective. Good feedback on both breeds.

Last edited:
The eggs that I hatched the Bresse from where XL eggs.
I had read that they are actually pretty good layers, but that remains to be seen.
Maybe someone that already has some Bresse at POL can chime in on that?

We could suppose that it would be helpful to have the best layers even if meat is the goal.
More eggs = more chicks to grow out, and larger eggs= larger more vigorous chicks.

I understand that the Bresse history and development in France has been up to 500 years worth.
I think the traditional Harvest age is 5 mths for pullets and cockerals, 10 mths for capons.
(harvested after conditioning)
Also I had read that a large Bresse capon during the holiday season in France comands a pretty good price.
cool.png

Regin, How stupid was I when first raising chickens! I wanted meat and egg birds and then discovered that meat birds lay eggs very well. No need for egg layers per say. But I dont want to take away thoughts for those owners that just have birds for egg purposes and not meat.
Dont know what POL stands for? I here its a good site. Cant comment on the bresse other than what I have read. I have read that it is treasured for its tablefare in France also. A delicacy in most restaurants along with the Malines. The French are pretty selective so that should tell you something. :)

POL is point of lay. The advantage of the egg breeds would be better feed to eggs converstion ration. Some meat breeds like standard cornish are known for low egg production. I've read that light sussex are pretty good on eggs too.

You are right, some meat birds would not suffice as good egg layers. Funny you should mention the sussex! I just got some for meat until my malines start producing offspring next year. The sussex chicks are very calm and very friendly. I am really impressed so far. Curious little birds and good appetites! :p

Back
Top Bottom