Rare! Chocolate Orpington Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AxolotlLove, Apr 25, 2016.

1. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps

Really? My cats love my ducks, and they did great with them as ducklings too.

2. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    I'm done letting cats around my animals- at least until they are full-grown- after seeing the neighbor's cat look at my chickens like they were tasty. I saw that cat's teeth, and that was enough! I might let my dog around my ducks after he is used to them, but never a cat until the ducks are nice and big.

3. mzmolly65

mzmolly65 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    You're lucky then, my cat wouldn't look twice before nabbing them for lunch, which is why I was/am searching for adults. It would be too hard to keep chicks safe long enough for them to get to adulthood.

4. NathanZee

NathanZee Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah its scary but it is worth training them to be safe around ducklings and chicks.

Or you could get a hen and have her raise some chicks, my cats are terrified of my broody bantam hen.

5. mzmolly65

Apr 20, 2016
    I'm supposed to be picking up 3 hens and a drake tonight but I still don't think ducklings would be safe. My cat is a SERIOUS hunter.

My Mum trained her cat to let the budgie ride on it's back and she thought they were friends .. big mistake. Sorry budgie.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  6. AxolotlLove

AxolotlLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2016
    Awwww! :( I have a budgie and a (blue) rosy Burke and 2 canaries and my cats would eat them so they are kept high. Zoey is a non hunting cat, she one brought a live mouse home and dropped at my feet, waiting for praise. The mouse got away unharmed. But my other cats are hunters so they are locked up when the 'lings are out. Plus, Zoey is tiny.

7. AxolotlLove

AxolotlLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2016
    Hello from Harmony!
    Look! We went outside yesterday!!!! It was so fun! We saw a grasshopper and ate some mealworms. And, I ate a daisy. Don't tell momma though...
    [​IMG]
    Momma says I'm one odd looking duck

More pictures to come! Nearing up 3 weeks!

1 person likes this.
  8. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    Cute! Is she a crested? I don't remember if you said if she was before; I may have a bad memory ... [​IMG]

9. mzmolly65

Apr 20, 2016
    I suspect Zoey thinks you are a kitten and she brought you home a live mouse so you could learn to hunt but you let it get away .. now Zoey thinks you are a kitten AND a crappy hunter, LOL!

1 person likes this.
  10. mzmolly65

Apr 20, 2016
    Oh, she's adorable! Did she chase the grasshopper?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by