Rare/Expensive goose breeds?

Carrosaur

Songster
8 Years
Mar 8, 2014
Nashville, TN
Are there any goose breeds that are rare or expensive like the Ayam Cemani chicken breed? I'm trying to plan my future flock for when we move onto the 5 acres ahead of time.

These are the breeds I will/hopefully have so far:

Production Toulouse
American Buff
American Blue
American Lavender
Embden
Pilgrim
Dewlap Toulouse
Buff Dewlap Toulouse
Gray Saddleback Pomeranian
Buff Saddleback Pomeranian

Just the basic breeds, I was thinking about Sebastopol but I like smooth, clean birds.

So are there any rare or expensive breeds I could think about getting or should get? Should I try some non-domestic breeds?

Cotton Patch Geese and Steinbacher Geese are still pretty rare in the US,

Pilgrim geese are still pretty rare. Only a handful of hatcheries offer them in the US. I love my pair and hope to hatch many .

I haev pilgrim geese and love them. They are gentle but make good watch dogs. Mine make all kinds of racket when someone or something strange gets in the yard. Haven't had good luck this year with them. Hatched 7 babies got 1 goose the rest are ganders! Going to move them out of the main yard into the corral with the rest of the flock next week. My breeding pair have started laying again, will let her set on the eggs and keep my fingers crossed that she hatches more girls.

I have a pair of American blues and just ordered a pair of American buffs. I love these geese they are not that noisy except when something is not right. they are funny to watch. this is my input.

Back
Top Bottom