1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rare South American Breeds including the Colloncas

Discussion in 'Chicken Hatching Eggs' started by Yashar, Mar 24, 2013.

1. poularde

poularde Hatching mode

Feb 7, 2010
    Puyallup, Wa.
    I hatched my Olmecs in a brinsea incubator. I had 3 hatch out of 6 eggs. I think I was lucky though.

2. Cissy48

Cissy48 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2011
    Southeastern Mass
    Do Haustec Roosters ever have black combs?

3. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Plymouth, Massachusetts
    Yes, but I'd say mostly dark red or a deep red.

4. grannychicken54

grannychicken54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Hi I just recieved my eggs several days ago 11 BQO and11 Colloncas I was wondering if anyone who has hatched these in a incubator could tell me what the best humidity is I put some under a broody and some in the incubator and I would like to say these eggs were packed great I ordered 9 of each and he sent 11 none were even cracked coming from all the way to OK very impressive but I would be very greatful for any thoughts on humidity in incubator. The way he packed I have only seen one other time and that was Lonnyandrinda and I have ordered a lot of shipped eggs trying to get my breeds built up to hatch my own eggs. He is very knowledgable about these breeds and did not mind my many questions. Can not sat enough good about the quality of service and shipping.

5. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Hi I just recieved my eggs several days ago 11 BQO and11 Colloncas I was wondering if anyone who has hatched these in a incubator could tell me what the best humidity is I put some under a broody and some in the incubator and I would like to say these eggs were packed great I ordered 9 of each and he sent 11 none were even cracked coming from all the way to OK very impressive but I would be very greatful for any thoughts on humidity in incubator. The way he packed I have only seen one other time and that was Lonnyandrinda and I have ordered a lot of shipped eggs trying to get my breeds built up to hatch my own eggs. He is very knowledgable about these breeds and did not mind my many questions. Can not sat enough good about the quality of service and shipping.

6. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Sorry for double post I do not know why it is doing this

7. grannychicken54

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    Sorry for double post I do not know why it is doing this

8. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Plymouth, Massachusetts
    This may sound crazy to some, but...
    On a forced air incubator, I suggest you don't let the humidity dip below 20% for a prolonged duration.
    On a still air incubator, I ignore it completely.
    When it comes time to hatch and your getting some pips, about day 19 or so. Fill up every channel in the incubator. Since you humidity was so low during the majority of the incubation, you don't have to worry about making things being too moist.

1 person likes this.
  9. lori13

lori13 New Egg

Jun 3, 2013

10. Yashar

Yashar New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    Plymouth, Massachusetts
    Lori13,

Were you going to say something?...You quoted post #1 but did not make a comment...It was probably a mistake...

All the best,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by