Rash on my rooster

Sarah Isham

Hatching
Feb 7, 2016
My rooster has a red raw-looking strip down the center of his underside. It makes me think of diaper rash. Anyone have ideas for treatment? Would a diaper rash ointment be bad?

Welcome to BYC. Can you describe where he sleeps at night, whether it is on a roost or on the floor of the coop? Could you post a picture? Also look him over for any signs of tiny bugs (lice or mites) especially around the vent, neck, and under wings.

Thank you! He sleeps on the floor. I gave him a couple of baths, he had a fair amount of poo stuck to him. I didn't find any bugs when I had him in the tub. The "rash" looks like it's fading. He seems healthy in every other way, though he's limping .I don't see anything wrong with his foot, not sure if it's related to the rash. I've read his breed,Red Ranger can have legs trouble because they get so heavy.

His sleeping on the floor may be the reason for the rash, especially if any of the bedding was moist or had droppings on it. Hay or straw is especially prone to holding moisture and irritation. Pine shavings are very good, and sand except in cold winter weather.

My birds get rashes on their underside often because they perch and sleep on a flat surface, they switch where they sleep in the coop often. It is not dangerous. It is just their skin getting a little irritated. If you wanted, you could put neosporin on it daily to help relieve some irritation.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom