Rasing coturnix on a large scale

kycrawler

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Crawfordsville , IN
OK i have been haching and selling coturnix and bobwhites for a while now and now i have a market for 200-250 mature coturnix every week . Hatching eggs are no problem as my birds can cover that easy . I am looking for some ideas on grow out pens or possibly pictures of others setups

I just recently built new breeder cages based on the gqf pens and they work great i just need to select some more good breeding stock to finish filling them

At what age do you plan on selling them? If they are young (>4 weeks) when you sell them, you can really cram them into a cage, and they won't fight. I just have 2x2 rabbit cages for mine, which holds 5 or 6 adults. The young ones can fit probably 10-12 in that size cage without much problems.
I am getting some cages that are bigger (2'x6') that are for groups, and these are basically going to be on sawhorses, with a roof over top. In a cage that size, with young quail, you could easily put 50 or better in it. If you keep them longer (like 6-8 weeks old) then you'll for sure need to have more room for them. Once they get to breeding age they start picking more.

pop.gif

Quote:
Wow, I hadn't done the math. Maybe get some flight netting and make a large flight cage, though that wouldn't really help much for babies.

Quote:
Same here!
pop.gif

I'm also envious of that market you have for your birds. How on earth did you run across something like that?!?
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom