Raspberry coop

@Mouthpear The motor I have is 12V... do I get the 12V relay board OR the 5v relay board... little confused here.

The output of the RPi is what is going to determine the operating voltage. If you are using Arduino (and I'm guessing RPi will too) the output is 5v and 5v is need to operate the coils of the relays. And the rest of the board.

The 12v for the motors should come from a separate source.

It will be something like this. The 12v Power source would be the POE. I am assuming the power supply for the RPi (timers) is 12v. Basically imagine the 2 IN 4 OUT and the timers together is your RPi. The pink and yellow wires will be the control wires from the RPi (High or Low).
Two SPST Timers Two Channel Relay Module LA.png

If you let me know what board you are planning to get I can make a specific diagram for that board.

I hope this makes sense. But I also have to say that sometimes the 12v relay boards will let you trigger/operate the relays with lower voltage tolerances. So depending on what board you chose, it may be a 12v board but you MIGHT be able to use the rpi 5v.

Well @Mouthpear since we are talking the three outputs, 6 relays... might as well buy the 8 relay board (high and low switching) OR NOT high/low switching... advise me...
If you see something OR know of a quality one from Amazon...by all means point me to it with a link... plan to use raspberry Pi 3B+ (for your wiring diagram) and this splitter for the POE/ethernet

Well @Mouthpear since we are talking the three outputs, 6 relays... might as well buy the 8 relay board (high and low switching) OR NOT high/low switching... advise me...
If you see something OR know of a quality one from Amazon...by all means point me to it with a link... plan to use raspberry Pi 3B+ (for your wiring diagram) and this splitter for the POE/ethernet

Yes that relay board should do. Having the HI / Low feature might come in handy. You never know.

Active 12V PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet Adapter
DC 2.1 5.5 MM 1 to 2 Power Adapter Splitter
12V 5.5mm x 2.1mm DC Power Connector Adapter
DC-DC 12V to 5V 3A Micro USB Converter Voltage Step Down Regulator

I did not use the red relay board but the one you originally linked to. I had already made the diagram with the original board and could not find a straight head on view to make a good diagram with the preferred red board.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Four CH Relay Module.png

I went ahead and did the Motor Shield also just in case.

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Motor Driver Sheild.png

@Mouthpear do you have a better suggestion for Active 12V PoE Splitter Power Over Ethernet Adapter as its limited to 10/100Mbps and 3 cameras might slow that down quickly... my network is 300Mbps...

Unless you are going the whole 400ft and maxing out the frame rate of the cameras then I really don't think you will have issues. In either case I would actually run 4 cat6 cables. On to the RPi with one camera and a second with a splitter for two cameras. The other two are back ups or in case I wanted more cameras.

Could you follow the diagrams?

Last edited:
@Mouthpear understood on the splitter...is this one the same thing? (the one you pointed to is 20+ days out for delivery)
The diagrams/style/colors look great...other than the pin numbers on the Rpi, and you not hooking it up for me, I couldn't ask for anything else, lol... but I guess the GPIO assigned pin numbers will come with your complimentary supplied code? :D

Last edited:
@Mouthpear understood on the splitter...is this one the same thing? (the one you pointed to is 20+ days out for delivery)
Noooo. MY apologies! I sent you the wrong link/product. They are not the same. Good thing you asked. Otherwise I may have not caught my error. The one I sent you is an Injector and the one you found/sent you is just a splitter. The splitter one is the one you will most likely need.

The difference is that the Injector is used on a Non-PoE Switch end, and is used to put power through the ethernet cable and then the Slitter separates the power from the data. What caused my mistake is that the seller used an image of a splitter. Slitters have a male power connector and injectors have a female power connector. I took a look at the label on th ethe picture provide and saw the used the wrong product image. Also added to it that they called it a splitter on the title. Again my apologies.

The diagrams/style/colors look great...other than the pin numbers on the Rpi, and you not hooking it up for me, I couldn't ask for anything else, lol... but I guess the GPIO assigned pin numbers will come with your complimentary supplied code? :D

Yeah the Power and Ground I was sure about but the IO pins needed or used for this sort of thing was just a guess, going off this Pinout Diagram.

raspberry_pi_circuit_note_fig2.jpg

I would have to reiterate, that a motor shield would take out, not only much of the wiring, but much of the guesswork of what pins to use.

As to the Code. I am not a very good person to ask about code. It took me a bit of time just to get the code right, for the relay board and astronomical timelord clock feature. So when you get it all up and running I would definitely love to get a peak at the code, or even share it here?

Last edited:
This is really cool.... Except we had one of those dogloos as a kid and they're tiny. How many chickens are you trying to cram in? Hopefully only two? All the tech in the world won't help if they don't have enough space...

My understanding is Pis draw a lot of power but otherwise I don't know enough about them. We were pondering a solenoid opened door over here.

Back
Top Bottom