Raspberry Pi Coop Automation

This is using a different PWM library pigpio, I know it reads like pig pio but it's really pi as in Raspberry Pi and gpio for General Purpose Input Output. The flicker you see is the camera.

JT

@jthornton how many of the LED lights do you thing I would need for my size coop?
I 've been a little busy with some of the other coals in the fire...

In the coop itself one should be enough, in the run you might have to experiment a bit. There not as bright as I was lead to believe but seem ok, just need to put them (the five I have) in the coop and see how that does. But first I need to adapt my code to use pigpio for the door and make sure my music still works.

JT

I apologize if it was mentioned before, I am kind of skipping to the end here:
How many things do you control with the Raspberry? I had remembered somebody running a hydroponic setup with fish with it (years ago, and now I can't find it again, stupid internet) then sometime last night I had this 'AHA' moment, especially as I did not want to dredge out into the rain to shut the light off in the coop. (I figured the chicks would be OK, having been under a red heat lamp before they came home with me. and hide under the brooder plate now.)

I figured I would want lights, vents (opening flaps and/or turning on fans) and down the line perhaps a pop door.
Also I am going to install a camera inside, if for nothing else so my husband can see his birds as well.

I do need to clear my head though, I have too many things popping around, right now I need to concentrate on the coop. The chicks are in the brooder and the toy house that was prefab is not big enough for real chickens. a handful of quail perhaps....

Currently the Raspberry Pi 3B in Coop Deux opens the door at sunrise and starts playing music as well as turns on the lights. An hour after sunrise the lights go off. At dusk it closes the door and turns off the music. It puts up a web page with astral data and the current state of the door. It has a 7" touch screen for manual control.

The Raspberry Pi 3B in Coop Uno does all that minus the music and touch screen and had a USB camera inside the nest box.

All of my code is here https://github.com/jethornton/chickens

JT

Currently the Raspberry Pi 3B in Coop Deux opens the door at sunrise and starts playing music as well as turns on the lights. An hour after sunrise the lights go off. At dusk it closes the door and turns off the music. It puts up a web page with astral data and the current state of the door. It has a 7" touch screen for manual control.

The Raspberry Pi 3B in Coop Uno does all that minus the music and touch screen and had a USB camera inside the nest box.

All of my code is here https://github.com/jethornton/chickens

JT
thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom