Rat Control

Most critters don't usually die from eating a poisoned mouse but they may get sick from it. Not sure about if a chicken ate a poison mouse. If they ate the poison directly they would probably die.

Thank you, that is great information. I have been looking at treadle feeders, actually online last night. Is there one that you can recommend for my 3 chicks? My chicks are full grown and I am sure I could teach them with treats to use it.
I tried a couple of treadle feeders which didn't keep rats out.....I now use the Boc Boc Box which seem to do the trick....I have four of them

Hi everyone - I have had my 3 hens since early spring here in Sacramento and have grown to love them very much. Since winter set in, I am finding rat mounds inside the coop area. It is stressing me out. I have set some traps previously and caught a few, but now the rats are getting smart and not able to be trapped. Each morning I find a new hole. I talked to a pest guy today and he said to make sure you put feed on the trap because that is their main source of food now. So, I will do that tonight. I never knew rats would come up from under the ground and make big mounds, but that is what they are doing. Tonight I am going to hide the food. (I keep the coop very clean) There are some areas of the coop that I have wire so rats can't get in, but not under the interior coop on the ground, if that makes sense. It''s going to be hard to do that now because of space. I would have to take it apart! Any ideas or tips would help. Enclosng 3 pics of the coop area. These were taken last summer. TIA
Do the hot pepper trick get the hottest peppers you can get your hands on and crush them especially the seeds put it around your coop and run and put it where the mounds are it will deture them from coming around I used to have river rats and did this have only seen one in 8yrs

Thanks! I just noticed your post. It is been a couple weeks now and I have put wire all inside the interior of the coop. It is working, but under the wire, I can see their tunnels! I am going to remove some of the wire carefully today, and put use your suggestion.

After a couple weeks, the bait boxes have been working, says my pest guy. We can see the bait is being somewhat eaten. And I do smell a dead rat somewhere.And I have successfully installed wire around the coop so they rats can't get in, hopefully. So far so good. I have now been trying the treadle feeder and today is their training day. They are super hungry. And I guess the rats and birds are too. We will see. Patience is wearing thin trying to train the girls, and they are squawking for food!

Be sure and email and send pictures if you don't have success with the feeder. Above all, follow the instructions to the very letter, nothing added, nothing left out.

Be sure and email and send pictures if you don't have success with the feeder. Above all, follow the instructions to the very letter, nothing added, nothing left out.
Hi there, today was the second day, they are seeming to kind of get the idea, but I have to sit there and show them how it opens and closes, tempt them with a little feed in my hand near the treadle, and they walk up there, and then put their foot on it and it opens. So, they are pretty hungry when they finally get to it, and start to peck at each other, especially my bully girl. So, I locked two of them out, and trained my smart girl, Georgia, and she is getting the idea, I think. But still cautious. She can't eat comfortably or peacefully when the other two girls are gorging next to her. Trial and error. I don't think they will eat on their own yet, without me sitting by. So, tomorrow another day!

Hi there, today was the second day, they are seeming to kind of get the idea, but I have to sit there and show them how it opens and closes, tempt them with a little feed in my hand near the treadle, and they walk up there, and then put their foot on it and it opens. So, they are pretty hungry when they finally get to it, and start to peck at each other, especially my bully girl. So, I locked two of them out, and trained my smart girl, Georgia, and she is getting the idea, I think. But still cautious. She can't eat comfortably or peacefully when the other two girls are gorging next to her. Trial and error. I don't think they will eat on their own yet, without me sitting by. So, tomorrow another day!
This is abnormal, I need pictures of how you have the feeder installed. The basics are having it secured to a wall or post so it doesn't rock around. The treadle has to bottom out on the ground. All sources of feed other than the feeder need to be gone, no old feed to scratch out of deep liter, no free range, no treats, nothing but the feed in the feeder. And there is no need to use a handful of feed near the feeder, just follow the training instructions to the very letter, nothing added, nothing left out.

Use your toe to show them how the treadle operates, maybe toss a handful of treats into the feed tray after you have put your toe on the treadle. Do that once or twice and if a bird hasn't stepped up, go do something else for an hour and try again. Do not baby them on that first day, give them a minute of your time showing them how to step on the treadle and then leave if they don't start doing it. If you baby them or feed them by hand or try to set them on the treadle you are sending the wrong message!

This is abnormal, I need pictures of how you have the feeder installed. The basics are having it secured to a wall or post so it doesn't rock around. The treadle has to bottom out on the ground. All sources of feed other than the feeder need to be gone, no old feed to scratch out of deep liter, no free range, no treats, nothing but the feed in the feeder. And there is no need to use a handful of feed near the feeder, just follow the training instructions to the very letter, nothing added, nothing left out.

Use your toe to show them how the treadle operates, maybe toss a handful of treats into the feed tray after you have put your toe on the treadle. Do that once or twice and if a bird hasn't stepped up, go do something else for an hour and try again. Do not baby them on that first day, give them a minute of your time showing them how to step on the treadle and then leave if they don't start doing it. If you baby them or feed them by hand or try to set them on the treadle you are sending the wrong message!
Thanks for your tips. I am not babying them, altho I want to haha. I will send pics tomorrow. But I have it installed just how you said, and it is very sturdy in it's location. When they stand on it, it levels fine and not too hard for them to step on. I did toss a few treats in the feed tray yesterday and that worked, and they put their foot on there. But then after I left the scene, they walked away as well. I think they are waiting for their normal everyday treats I "used" to give them. So, I walk away, then come back in an hour or so. Then have another training session. One girl, Georgia the smart one, is getting it. But then the other two peck her and take her place. Then she walks away. SO, I put her in the coop area by herself, and keep them away from her. I want her to get it first, then I think they will follow. I will post pics tomorrow...thank you!

Back
Top Bottom