Rat infestation

bunandpancake

Chirping
Jun 6, 2020
I don’t know why it’s been so bad this year, but we have a horrendous rat infestation in the duck and chicken runs. We have movable runs that have kept rats to a minimum in the past, but now within 2 days of moving there are always heaps of them.

I was thinking of putting some mesh wire on the bottom of the runs to keep them from getting in, but I’m not sure whether that will be hard on their feet? (They’re in the runs 24/7).

I don’t want to use poison due to the threat to other wildlife, or traps because of disposal. If anyone has a potential solution please let me know! Thank you so much!

We have movable runs that have kept rats to a minimum in the past, but now within 2 days of moving there are always heaps of them.
Are you collecting your feed at night? Honestly even though I collected feeders EVERY night.. I found there was enough "shrapnel" left around from the birds, they still came looking.. but every effort matters.

Pics of your runs? If a rat can get in so can many other predators. Rats have even been caught eating a live chicken and are considered predators themselves aside from the whole parasite and disease vector, or feed cost incursion stuff. Are they coming through ground tunnels, digging under at the side walls, or how are they coming in?? Is it mostly night or also daytime?

Red pepper flakes or crushed red pepper added to the feed.. poultry don't sense the capsaicin heat but rodents can't stand it. Short term just long enough to let them know this isn't their preferred buffet anymore.

I have used wire bottom in non moving coops with plenty of shavings or soil on top. half inch hardware cloth is effective, chicken wire is not. I wouldn't consider it an ideal solution for moving tractors.. though suspect the birds would adjust and adapt soon enough (quickly learning their scratching limits so they don't hurt themselves).. Presuming it's in full contact with the ground so they aren't actively standing on it with full body weight being supported by wire alone. (Might make dragging to a new location a bit more challenging if it snags on stuff) Provide a dirt bath in a container if going that route. While it may not generally be ideal.. sometimes we do what we need to in order to best manage our flocks. Things do change throughout the years including wildlife load.. which rats are part of.

Hmm.. I wonder if one of those fake owls with turning head would help you? None of my animals are fooled by my neighbors and rats are anything but stupid.. but worth mentioning.

I also employ barn cats.. which comes with other pluses and minuses. Car food ain't cheap.

Trapping isn't effective.. you get a few here and there but never truly touch the population. Some folks in my area (Craigslist farm and garden section) are bringing out dog teams with astounding results, though it's quite the ugly scene. (Jack Russel or rat terrier and the like)

I would say skip the whole rats don't fart thing trying to kill them with baking soda mixed into something tasty that wouldn't in theory effect any animal that does pass gas.

Despite facing my share of rodent battles, they can be quite challenging and I'm certainly no expert. Still I hope my words will give you some things to consider and also that you will get more feedback.

Consider adding your location to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestions possible.. regarding what resources might be available, certain predator suggestions, and weather indicators etc.

:fl

I don’t know why it’s been so bad this year, but we have a horrendous rat infestation in the duck and chicken runs. We have movable runs that have kept rats to a minimum in the past, but now within 2 days of moving there are always heaps of them.

I was thinking of putting some mesh wire on the bottom of the runs to keep them from getting in, but I’m not sure whether that will be hard on their feet? (They’re in the runs 24/7).

I don’t want to use poison due to the threat to other wildlife, or traps because of disposal. If anyone has a potential solution please let me know! Thank you so much!
I'm having a problem too. Had a couple rats earlier this year, fixed the problem (or thought so), but now winter is on, they've come back ten fold.
Not just rats, in fairness. Theres only a couple I believe, but there is a lot of mice. I'm doing more security checks, and setting humane traps to battle it.
I have a live catch trap set, Im actually hoping to catch some overnight, for relocation!

You could use mesh as flooring to prevent them getting in, but it would be rough for their feet. You could perhaps cover it with a layer of wood shavings, or something? That would protect their feet. But be mindful of rust. If they have a pool etc and the wire begins to rust, that wont be safe for them. So get quality galvanized wire, and keep a close eye on it. I think this *might* work okay.
You could also try a mesh skirt on the outside of the pen to discourage them from digging in, but this might not fully prevent it, and it would be annoying to keep doing as you move the run.

Make sure all food is up at the end of the day, and try to clear any clutter around the yard which may also encourage them.
If you need to get rid of them, I reccomend live traps, you could make your own with a bucket and trap door roof, or buy a cage trap. But if you do this, dont release them near other houses or farms. You'd have to take them out a way to where they wont likely bother anyone.

A friend told me about using baking soda mixed with jiffy cornbread mix(cheap) I put it out in the blk plastic traps plus the wooden rat traps we had them so bad they were out In broad daylight. Now I am catching one every few days and even catching mice I put peanut butter on the wooden traps. I see where the mice are getting into the baking soda / jiffy traps too. I was using poison until I saw a rat in my backyard evidentially sick and my dog had caught it and had chewed it’s head off. Thankfully hadn’t eaten any other part and was not poisoned. But it scared me enough to stop with the poison. The next one sick in the back yard I was able to get to before my dog had a chance at it.

Last edited:
I switched to a “grandpa’s feeder” (google it). It helped a lot. The rats would get so mad they would use the bathroom on top of the feeder. I am in the process of building a new coop with hardware cloth extending 10” into the ground to hopefully stop the rats from being in with my ducks at all.

The poison makes rats seek water and they usually die somewhere out n the open. Our old lab has picked up hundreds of them over the years. He chews on them a bit and then deposits them just outside the door. He is always so proud and likes to pretend he hunted it down and subdued it after a much difficulty. We know better but always congratuate him on his achievement anyway.

Our mice come in distinct waves too. There will be everywhere one year and then seemingly disappear for a few years. It might be some sort of disease that runs through them when they over-populate. The roof rat and Norway rat populations seem to be much more stable.

Back
Top Bottom