Rat Poison???

sparkles2307

Terd of Hurtles
11 Years
Oct 23, 2008
Northwestern Minnesota
OK, so I want to put rat poison in the garden shed...half of which is the coop and half is the actual garden shed. If I out the rat poison on the garden shed side, will the chickens be ok? THey will only be separated by chicken wire, and I dont know if being in the same room as the poison will affect them or the eggs they will lay? Does rat poison put off poison gasses or fumes that i should worry about, or will it all be fine so long as the birds cant consume it?

I would not myself put rat poisen out where chickens are, I know my chickens will eat a mouse if they see it laying on the ground, and if it died from rat poisen, that can't be good.
do you have any cats???
maybe you should let the chickens in the shed? My chickens see and destroy mice!!!!

OK that is what I thought as well. DH says that, since the floor will be built up on the coop side (the floor of the shed is dirt) I will have mice living under it... we dont have cats, the dogs "play" them to death.

we have dirt for our floors in the chicken houses, and it is really funny if a mouse does come by the chickens run to see who can get it first. they get crazy!

The garden shed is quite large, 10x12 at least. After talking this morning, DH is thinking about letting me have my birds in the whole thing instead of half, and then I would just let them take care of the mice. But, if (heaven forbid) we had a rat get in there....do chickens kill them too or is that a risk to the health of my birds?

my reds wont touch a rat live or dead they are scaird to death of them.
I did have some that ate some rat poison when they were pullets didn't hurt them at all. we did not know it was in the shed we turned into a coup. but I wouldn't want them to eat a bunch of it.

Back
Top Bottom