Rat Poison???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sparkles2307, Apr 20, 2009.

1. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

OK, so I want to put rat poison in the garden shed...half of which is the coop and half is the actual garden shed. If I out the rat poison on the garden shed side, will the chickens be ok? THey will only be separated by chicken wire, and I dont know if being in the same room as the poison will affect them or the eggs they will lay? Does rat poison put off poison gasses or fumes that i should worry about, or will it all be fine so long as the birds cant consume it?

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I would not myself put rat poisen out where chickens are, I know my chickens will eat a mouse if they see it laying on the ground, and if it died from rat poisen, that can't be good.
    do you have any cats???
    maybe you should let the chickens in the shed? My chickens see and destroy mice!!!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd just put bait tubes with the rat poison just outside the coop... that's what we do.

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I keep traps out at all times. I wouldn't use poison around the birds.

5. sparkles2307

OK that is what I thought as well. DH says that, since the floor will be built up on the coop side (the floor of the shed is dirt) I will have mice living under it... we dont have cats, the dogs "play" them to death.

6. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    we have dirt for our floors in the chicken houses, and it is really funny if a mouse does come by the chickens run to see who can get it first. they get crazy!

7. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Your chickens could eat a dead or dying rodent. Traps.

8. sparkles2307

The garden shed is quite large, 10x12 at least. After talking this morning, DH is thinking about letting me have my birds in the whole thing instead of half, and then I would just let them take care of the mice. But, if (heaven forbid) we had a rat get in there....do chickens kill them too or is that a risk to the health of my birds?

9. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    my reds wont touch a rat live or dead they are scaird to death of them.
    I did have some that ate some rat poison when they were pullets didn't hurt them at all. we did not know it was in the shed we turned into a coup. but I wouldn't want them to eat a bunch of it.

10. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I wouldn't put poison out...there's a chance that your birds might find a body and eat it and poison themselves in turn...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by