Rat Problem

Advice please?

My chicken run is invaded with rats. I shot one with my pellet gun ( and I'm almost 100% sure it died ) and trapped one with my old rat trap ( 100% dead, sorry no pics) There are a lot of rat holes and stuff where they are happily eating left over chicken food in my run EVERY NIGHT. The security like I have (which I originally put up to alert me when a raccoon came) comes on like....20 times per night! I'm looking for advice, not a fight on different traps that people use, etc. Your ideas are welcome, but please NO arguing!
I recently had a rat infestation in my chicken coop. I was shooting them and trapping them and they just kept coming. One night I snuck down there and 9 rats were in the run eating leftover food on the ground from the feeders. I was even seeing them during the day. Unfortunately I had no other choice but to call a pest control company. They set up a couple baitboxes and assured me the dead rats wouldn't cause secondary poisoning if something were to eat it. It's been about a month now and I haven't seen any rats or droppings and the girls are all healthy!

I recently had a rat infestation in my chicken coop. I was shooting them and trapping them and they just kept coming. One night I snuck down there and 9 rats were in the run eating leftover food on the ground from the feeders. I was even seeing them during the day. Unfortunately I had no other choice but to call a pest control company. They set up a couple baitboxes and assured me the dead rats wouldn't cause secondary poisoning if something were to eat it. It's been about a month now and I haven't seen any rats or droppings and the girls are all healthy!

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Also, if the rats drink the chickens water/roam all around in the run could that hurt the chickens? ( Make them sick? ) And do rats attack chickens???

If you, or someone you know, is handy, here is a detailed article on a DIY treadle feeder:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/building-a-treadle-chicken-feeder.47900/
This is the exact same design as the one I am suggesting buying, but, rats will chew through any type of wood and thickness of wood, in a matter of hours. In one night, that wooden feeder will have a hole in it, and the rats will be gorging. The only things rats can't chew through, are steel, and glass.

Back
Top Bottom