Rat proof feeder for 2 birds?

citychicks99

Songster
Aug 20, 2021
Seattle, WA
I only have 2 birds so I was thinking that I could maybe get a bird feeder or a small animal feeder. The only problem is their coop isn't rat proof and so it will attract rats at night. This is an alternative: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09DBSR1P...abc_TZHYVKR1169KSBCSZAZA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I like that it has a stopper so I can close it at night. The only thing that concerns me is if rats would try and chew through plastic at night. I don't have tools to cut through metal to make them a feeder. I don't want to spend $80 on a 25 pound feeder for 2 chickens. Does anybody have any creative ideas?

Something like this would fit your purpose. The chickens have to step on the pedal and it opens. During the summer you'll need to cover the pedal with a damp towel so they don't burn their feet.
The prices range quite a bit as well

Attachments

• Grandpas-Feeders-Automatic-Chicken-Feeders-Standard-Feeder.png
    Grandpas-Feeders-Automatic-Chicken-Feeders-Standard-Feeder.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 8
I think it would be better to spend the money to try and rat proof the coop - other than feed being stolen they're also a vector for parasites and disease, can cause structural damage, and can even attacked chickens if hungry enough.
I think this is a good idea since I remove the food at night. I didn't want to spend too much money but I think the least I could do is start out with 2' all around the run, which costs about $30 for 2'x25' that should work for now. Not sure if rats will bother to dig in the daytime but if I find digging, I'll order more 2' hardware cloth and lay them out on the ground. I also have sparrows flying in which can easily be solved with cheaper garden netting on the top.

Fencing out mice or rats is a lot more expensive that a good treadle feeder and they save the feed from water and spillage as well. The guillotine style treadle start at $36.00 for the non Chinese made feeders but nearly all that I can think of except one are made in China like the Grandpa feeder and its clones, $65.00 for a small 12 pound model. The port style feeders that you linked to are fine in a plastic bucket, if a rodent wants to eat it just crawls in or jumps in, no need to chew through the bucket. Likely not to stop sparrows either.

Do a forum search for Howard E.'s posts on rodents. He always gave rock solid advice from actual experience and has some great posts including one called Rats 101 or something like that that uses some old government info on dealing with rodents.

Fencing out mice or rats is a lot more expensive that a good treadle feeder and they save the feed from water and spillage as well. The guillotine style treadle start at $36.00 for the non Chinese made feeders but nearly all that I can think of except one are made in China like the Grandpa feeder and its clones, $65.00 for a small 12 pound model. The port style feeders that you linked to are fine in a plastic bucket, if a rodent wants to eat it just crawls in or jumps in, no need to chew through the bucket. Likely not to stop sparrows either.

Do a forum search for Howard E.'s posts on rodents. He always gave rock solid advice from actual experience and has some great posts including one called Rats 101 or something like that that uses some old government info on dealing with rodents.
Those treadle feeders look like they could take off one of my chicken's heads so I've been hesitant about getting one... I will look for his posts, thanks.

Those treadle feeders look like they could take off one of my chicken's heads so I've been hesitant about getting one... I will look for his posts, thanks.
That would be the guillotine type, the better kind has a door that swings inward, has a spring loaded door to prevent the rodents or birds from just pushing the door open and chowing down, and a narrow and distant treadle to avoid them swarming the treadle. Avoid any plastic or aluminum parts, and do your research before spending money and not at the sites that use affiliate links, they recommend the feeders that pay them a commission, not the best feeders!

Back
Top Bottom