Rat Question

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by winchesterva, Sep 15, 2009.

1. winchesterva

winchesterva Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2009
    Winchester
    I have been lurking and reading on this site for a couple of months now learning all I can about raising chickens. We are planning on getting them in the Spring. Using the fall/winter months to get the coop and run built.

I have read many posts concerning rats and how to deal with them in your chicken coops. My question is: Can I just assume I will have a rat problem if I have chickens? I'm hoping the answer is no, but I thought I would put that question to the experts.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Mary

2. toredano

toredano Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Grainger County,TN
    I am no expert BUT..
    Its like with mice and roaches.. keep stuff clean.. tightly sealed.. dont leave food out ..keep coops and stuff clean and I think you can tward off alot of problems.Rodents are drawn to feed and unsanitary contitions.They smell the scratch etc..
    I have my stuff in big plastic containers on the porch so nothing can get in or out and I have not seen any rats or mice ..well the mice and moles get killed by my cats. But no rats.
    I have my coop well away from the house.. i know alot of people have big ole barns etc that do have mice.. its unavoidable for sure. Not sure on rats to be honest. Mice are not a huge thread to chickens but rats are.

I think I be more worried about predators .. like coons and possums and feral cats and dogs and snakes and hawks and stuff

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    If you keep chickens, you'll eventually get rats or mice. They're attracted to spilled food and unless you sweep up after your birds every night, they'll come. I wouldn't sweat it too much but if you try to poison the rodents, make sure your birds can't get into the poison.
    If you do put out poison, I would recommend one containing bromethelin as it is fatal in a single dose and does not rely on multilple feedings like the hemmoragic poisons do.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Lead Poison--- Say 20grains Delivered At About 1000ft/sec--- Cures Them Everytime, And It Can Double As Cheap Entertainment [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by