Steave Erwin was my grandmas cousin
You didn't mean to tell us that one of those amazing, beautiful, wonderful, snakes that people like Steve Irwin was always blabbering about would harm a poor defenseless chicken??? Yea, if that is your intent then, good job. :thumbsup
My chickens are prey, but also revenous predators themselves. Chickens even love to eat chicken haha. I agree with people that think snakes are amazing, beautiful, and wonderful, so I appreciate their blabber. I am sorry when anyone loses a pet or livestock, though.

I wanted to share this story about a huge yellow rat snake that killed 2 of my pullets last week so others are informed and aware that this could happen...as I had zero clue a rat snake would strangle my babies!

About 4 weeks ago I found a large 5+Ft yellow rat snake in my coop. There were 2 eggs in the nesting box so luckily I caught it before it got them. I pulled the snake out and put it in our shed which has rats and mice so it would eat THEM and not my eggs. Did not see it again and was not missing any eggs.

Last week Wednesday, I just intergrated my 11 week old brahma pullets (4) with my other 2 chickens. There was (still is) tension and one was bullying the babies constantly. I figured it is chicken life and they are asserting their pecking order.

Thursday morning I checked the coop and found 1 pullet dead in the bottom run! I freaked!! She was in the center of the run (8x10) just below their coop door. So I knew it couldnt be a predator from outside like a raccoon or fox. There was no visible injuries at all. Her eyes were open and neck out-stretched. Weird thing was her head and neck were slimey and wet looking with what seems like a little white goo on her. The rest of her body was dry.

First thing I thought was my bully chicken killed her for sure! Somehow spooked her and bullied her to death. I chalked the wet head up to morning dew. I thought about the possibility of a snake but quickly told myself “no way, we don’t have giant constrictors in Charleston SC!!”

I kicked the bully out of the coop that day and let her free range. That night I put her in the shed so she would be safe from the foxes and raccoons that frequent the yard.

At 3am on Friday morning I checked the coop (I’m obsessed) ...another pullet DEAD! I freaked out! Wtff?!!
I Pulled her body out and noticed IMMEDIATELY the same exact signs...wet, slimey head and neck, white goo, eyes open, no visible injuries. The bully chicken IS IN THE SHED! It’s not her!!!

I come inside and starting searching this site for answers. I found others have posted about the slimey, wet head and neck etc. I read posts for hours learning it most likely was a snake! A RAT SNAKE!

That morning, my husband and I fortified the coop. Any gap was covered by 1/4” hardware cloth, chicken wire around coop was covered with it too. Put spray foam and window foam seals in gaps around doors. I mean it’s legit secure I believe!

I had read on a forum once a snake finds a food source it will continue to come back. The snake will come at dusk when they go to roost. The chickens fall into their trance like slumber and the snake will select one, strangle it, and try to swallow it head first. Depending on snake vs chicken size difference, It will most likely not be able to get past the chickens shoulders causing it to regurgitate the body. But the snake will not learn it cannot eat “that” particular prey and will try and try again.

SO I WAITED...WATCHING THE COOP LIKE A HAWK...low and behold!!! Guess who comes out from under the shed at 9pm. Barely any light out but I could see it thanks the my solar spotlight on the coop! JUST LIKE PEOPLE SAID...it
Came back like clockwork. Trying on the 3rd night to murder another chicken! It couldn’t get in but it was trying! It was going through the chicken wire and small gap in door. It was as round as one of those mini coke cans. The hole was less than an inch!

Well...the snake is no longer around and so far...no more deaths! I love animals...I understand they need to survive and it’s instinct. I don’t blame the snake 100%...I blame myself for not being aware and informed.

IF YOU HAVE RAT SNAKES...They don’t just try to eat eggs and chicks. They may try to eat larger pray. I never have ever had this problem in the 5 years Ive had chickens. But every year I learn more about keeping backyard chickens and thank this website and all the other chicken people for their info and knowledge!!

Keep your babies safe and hope at least one person learns from my experience and doesn’t lose any of thier flock!

Take care V
Thank you. This exact thing happened last night. Put the 9 week old chicks to bed at dusk. Heard them freaking at 11. Went out, found one dead, wet slimy head and neck outstretched. Took the roof off the coop thos morning to redo and secure it and found the rat snake asleep on top of the coop!. Shooed it off. Sealing every chicken today and I love the spray foam idea. We had chain link covered in hardware cloth with electric wire and bird netting. But it came in somehow.

I wanted to share this story about a huge yellow rat snake that killed 2 of my pullets last week so others are informed and aware that this could happen...as I had zero clue a rat snake would strangle my babies!

About 4 weeks ago I found a large 5+Ft yellow rat snake in my coop. There were 2 eggs in the nesting box so luckily I caught it before it got them. I pulled the snake out and put it in our shed which has rats and mice so it would eat THEM and not my eggs. Did not see it again and was not missing any eggs.

Last week Wednesday, I just intergrated my 11 week old brahma pullets (4) with my other 2 chickens. There was (still is) tension and one was bullying the babies constantly. I figured it is chicken life and they are asserting their pecking order.

Thursday morning I checked the coop and found 1 pullet dead in the bottom run! I freaked!! She was in the center of the run (8x10) just below their coop door. So I knew it couldnt be a predator from outside like a raccoon or fox. There was no visible injuries at all. Her eyes were open and neck out-stretched. Weird thing was her head and neck were slimey and wet looking with what seems like a little white goo on her. The rest of her body was dry.

First thing I thought was my bully chicken killed her for sure! Somehow spooked her and bullied her to death. I chalked the wet head up to morning dew. I thought about the possibility of a snake but quickly told myself “no way, we don’t have giant constrictors in Charleston SC!!”

I kicked the bully out of the coop that day and let her free range. That night I put her in the shed so she would be safe from the foxes and raccoons that frequent the yard.

At 3am on Friday morning I checked the coop (I’m obsessed) ...another pullet DEAD! I freaked out! Wtff?!!
I Pulled her body out and noticed IMMEDIATELY the same exact signs...wet, slimey head and neck, white goo, eyes open, no visible injuries. The bully chicken IS IN THE SHED! It’s not her!!!

I come inside and starting searching this site for answers. I found others have posted about the slimey, wet head and neck etc. I read posts for hours learning it most likely was a snake! A RAT SNAKE!

That morning, my husband and I fortified the coop. Any gap was covered by 1/4” hardware cloth, chicken wire around coop was covered with it too. Put spray foam and window foam seals in gaps around doors. I mean it’s legit secure I believe!

I had read on a forum once a snake finds a food source it will continue to come back. The snake will come at dusk when they go to roost. The chickens fall into their trance like slumber and the snake will select one, strangle it, and try to swallow it head first. Depending on snake vs chicken size difference, It will most likely not be able to get past the chickens shoulders causing it to regurgitate the body. But the snake will not learn it cannot eat “that” particular prey and will try and try again.

SO I WAITED...WATCHING THE COOP LIKE A HAWK...low and behold!!! Guess who comes out from under the shed at 9pm. Barely any light out but I could see it thanks the my solar spotlight on the coop! JUST LIKE PEOPLE SAID...it
Came back like clockwork. Trying on the 3rd night to murder another chicken! It couldn’t get in but it was trying! It was going through the chicken wire and small gap in door. It was as round as one of those mini coke cans. The hole was less than an inch!

Well...the snake is no longer around and so far...no more deaths! I love animals...I understand they need to survive and it’s instinct. I don’t blame the snake 100%...I blame myself for not being aware and informed.

IF YOU HAVE RAT SNAKES...They don’t just try to eat eggs and chicks. They may try to eat larger pray. I never have ever had this problem in the 5 years Ive had chickens. But every year I learn more about keeping backyard chickens and thank this website and all the other chicken people for their info and knowledge!!

Keep your babies safe and hope at least one person learns from my experience and doesn’t lose any of thier flock!

Take care V
I wish I would of seen this sooner I put my pullets in a dog crate in the run I was making treats for them all I come out I see my husband run in the coop and then see something in his hand like u I thought one of my hens was attacking them and he had let them out nope it was a rat snake got into the coop had killed my favorite one already and had my bigger pullet wrapped up with it my husband grabbed it got bit twice but saved my bigger pullet it was to late for my favorite baby. There was blood it bit my pullet right under her eye that was about 6 hours ago she's doing good eating drinking not bleeding another few seconds she would of been dead to. My husband didn't want to kill the snake but I told him it will come back and kill the rest of them. My pullets are back in a bin inside my house until they get bigger and I can get smaller chicken wire

I wish I would of seen this sooner I put my pullets in a dog crate in the run I was making treats for them all I come out I see my husband run in the coop and then see something in his hand like u I thought one of my hens was attacking them and he had let them out nope it was a rat snake got into the coop had killed my favorite one already and had my bigger pullet wrapped up with it my husband grabbed it got bit twice but saved my bigger pullet it was to late for my favorite baby. There was blood it bit my pullet right under her eye that was about 6 hours ago she's doing good eating drinking not bleeding another few seconds she would of been dead to. My husband didn't want to kill the snake but I told him it will come back and kill the rest of them. My pullets are back in a bin inside my house until they get bigger and I can get smaller chicken wire
I am very sorry for the loss of your favorite hen but glad your husband was able to save the pullet. My favorite was also killed by a rat snake several years back. Heart breaking.

Back
Top Bottom