Ratio of Females to Males?

awyman

Songster
Apr 5, 2019
West Virginia
I’m a new duck owner and I have a total of 11 ducks. I think I ended up 4 girls and the rest are boys. I know this is not a good ratio. A lot of the sites I’ve read said sometimes if you have too many drakes, a lot of the time people butcher them. I won’t do that, so what should I do? Should I just get more females? Anyone with any advice? What is a good ratio? I’ve heard 4-6 females per every drake. Love my ducks so much just don’t want the drakes to beat up the females. I’d like to find a good solution. I have already started working on a separate enclosure, just in case I have any major problems. But I’d really love to keep all my ducks together.

The best ratio is 4 females per drake. Sometimes depending on the drake you can get by with 3 but your main objective here is to keep them females from being over bred and not drowned or injured by too many drakes. And they will gang rape. What breed are you talking about? Having a bachelor pen set up would be an excellent idea. That way you can give the girls nice time outs over the long breeding months. But you may change your mind eventually if your drakes begin fighting that is just something that comes with having too many drakes.

:welcome

The best ratio is 4 females per drake. Sometimes depending on the drake you can get by with 3 but your main objective here is to keep them females from being over bred and not drowned or injured by too many drakes. And they will gang rape. What breed are you talking about? Having a bachelor pen set up would be an excellent idea. That way you can give the girls nice time outs over the long breeding months. But you may change your mind eventually if your drakes begin fighting that is just something that comes with having too many drakes.

:welcome

I have 4 pekins, 2 welsh harlequins, 1 black swedish, 2 crested, a fawn and white runner, and a khaki. I was thinking the same thing about the enclosure. Just don’t want my girls to get beat up. If I had it to do all over again I would’ve just got females. But now I’m attached to my drakes.:)

I understand you like your Drakes..:frow
Although it will become stressful on the Birds and Yourself when one day they are attacking each other. If the hens are crested that can cause another set of concerns. Drakes breed by hanging onto the back of the head and can kill crested hens quickly.
Sometimes we have to make hard decisions..

Very easy to get attached I am the same way and have kept up to 4 drakes before but never could I let them live together after they became hormonal. I had to keep them separated with their own females, I did this for years until one day I just said to myself I can't do this anymore. So I was very blessed to find good homes for my 2 youngest drakes where they had their own set of females. Not an easy thing to do at all. Now I try and keep my drakes to one or two. I had Muscovy when this all started and they will not live with another Muscovy drake so I had to keep them separate. Now I have a Muscovy drake and a Runner drake and my Muscovy could care less. But you may feel different once this really get heated up there. Especially seeing you have crested are they female? They should not be bred or over bred that patch of feathers on top of their heads has no skull under it just fatty tissue so over amorous drakes can really cause damage to her head and brain. How old are they now? If young are you seeing any sexual behavior?

I understand you like your Drakes..:frow
Although it will become stressful on the Birds and Yourself when one day they are attacking each other. If the hens are crested that can cause another set of concerns. Drakes breed by hanging onto the back of the head and can kill crested hens quickly.
Sometimes we have to make hard decisions..

Yes, I’m also very concerned for my crested ducks. If worst comes to worst I’ll rehome some of my drakes to good homes. I guess that’s part of being a duck owner. Sometimes you have to make tough calls. :hmm Thanks so much for you me advice! :)

Yes, I’m also very concerned for my crested ducks. If worst comes to worst I’ll rehome some of my drakes to good homes. I guess that’s part of being a duck owner. Sometimes you have to make tough calls. :hmm Thanks so much for you me advice! :)
Yes, I've rehome many I loved but did what's best for all concerned. Best wishes..

Very easy to get attached I am the same way and have kept up to 4 drakes before but never could I let them live together after they became hormonal. I had to keep them separated with their own females, I did this for years until one day I just said to myself I can't do this anymore. So I was very blessed to find good homes for my 2 youngest drakes where they had their own set of females. Not an easy thing to do at all. Now I try and keep my drakes to one or two. I had Muscovy when this all started and they will not live with another Muscovy drake so I had to keep them separate. Now I have a Muscovy drake and a Runner drake and my Muscovy could care less. But you may feel different once this really get heated up there. Especially seeing you have crested are they female? They should not be bred or over bred that patch of feathers on top of their heads has no skull under it just fatty tissue so over amorous drakes can really cause damage to her head and brain. How old are they now? If young are you seeing any sexual behavior?

They are still young. Only about 4 weeks. I think I have a crested hen, and crested drake. I don’t ever plan on breeding them. Just because of all of the stuff I’ve researched. I’d hate to put them in harms way.

You've do the research that is great. I think when the time comes you'll make the best decision for your babies. And we'll be here to help any way we can. :hugs At 4 weeks just enjoy those little ones they have a way to go before you need to make any decisions.

Back
Top Bottom