Ration

steffranko

Hatching
Feb 3, 2022
I am new to this, I was wondering if someone can help me figure out how to make a feeding plan for 1 year. I am doing a project for my ag class I have to have balanced rations or food plan for each stage. Thank you

I'm off to the gas station, wind is picking up, and the chainsaw is empty - as is the genny. Well, the 2 gal back up, and the 5 gal backup are both empty - which is close enough.

Come back to this when I return.

@Steffranco, I'll have questions, if you want to impress your instructor

Ok, this is helpful.

I suggest you look at this and this. Both have optimum (from a cost perspective) diets for laying hens, obviously, the second is much more detailed, if you want to get way down in the weeds, while the NRCS/USDA paper is the "generic" recommend. Unfortunately, neither source talks about the needs of layers before point of lay. For that, you will be able to rely on sources like this. Or you could increase protein levels above the minimum recommends with the intention o receiving larger eggs more frequently - but be awar that the size increase and frequency increase are both quite small, while the cost increase for the additional protein in the feed is quite high (comparatively).

Is there a particular breed of laying hen you are concerned with, or "generic leghorn"? Do you have to design your own feed? If so, what are the metrics? Cost? Use of particular ingredients? Feed efficiency? How many birds?

Your own Poultry books should have sample dietary requirements for birds before point of lay - but I can help you find studies, as well, depending on what you are trying to optimize. I may be able to help find some older poultry reference works as well.

Back
Top Bottom