Rats are back :(

Johnn

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 5, 2011
Today i was sat at my hens and a rat cmae out and saw me and ran away behind this metal sheet and i had my jack russel with me who was all up for going after it and i lifted the metal sheet up and it ran under the pen fence in to the feild were all the hens were so i put the dog over the fence and he nearly caught it but i stopped him because i felt sorry for it. The rat also ripped up my two rubber eggs!. Can some one tell me some things about what rats will do that will make me want to put poison down?

I have outside dogs pens and with them you always have to be on the look out for rats.

Rats do not only eat feed but they can survive on feces also.

They will burrow and under mind the foundations of your buildings.

They also spread fleas which in turn is the vector for numerous diseases.

For the benefit of your livestock, family pets, and family members, give rats no quarter.

If it takes some toxin to get rid of them, so be it.

I use Tomcat brand block bait, sold at Wal-mart, which is water proof and I just drop it in the opening of a burrow.

You can also use lockable bait boxes to prevent access to children and pets.

Last edited:
I am all for killing rats, but I wouldn't use poison around your chickens. I've never delt with rats, but do have mice in my garage almost every winter. I use those sticky traps. They seem to catch more for me. For bait on a snap trap use peanut butter. It has good aroma to draw them in.

what you do is take a five gallon bucket and fill it half full of water and put corn meal or dog food in it just enough to cover the top of the water the rats will fall in trying to get the food and will drowned sound cruel but will be your best shot good luck

I have been experiencing a rat problem. I tried snap traps, and live traps with very limited success. I am afraid of poison due to the birds and the pets.

I recently built a repeating rat trap from 1/2" x1" cage wire. I honestly felt a bit foolish when building it, wondering if it was another of my wild ideas.

I deployed this fine instrument of destruction last weekend and baited it with feed.

After 4 days of no action, when my hopes for success were fading, I found it really worked. Seems I caught a whole clan in one night.

We will redeploy tonight to see if we can repeat the results. So far things are better than expected.

Google repeating rats traps and view the images for examples.

Good luck on your war.

Try natures sure fire rat remover.

A cat.
old.gif

Well i have found a old rat nest under a crate which i can lift up it only had a little hole for the rats to go under the crate should i put the poison there?. My worst fear are rats :(

One thing that makes me hate rats teh most is that a couple of years ago there was loads in the chicken shed about 20+ and the farmer was in the feild and my favouraite chicken was on her way back to the coop and they all jamp out and attacked her and ate a big chunk in her face and chewed her leg and she sadly didnt make it :(

Back
Top Bottom