Rats - arrgh

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
This is my first year having a rat problem. I know it is fall and they are looking for food and shelter but it is not going to be at my place. I have seen them during the day, and find large holes entering the run. Don't believe they have been in coop yet.
So far I have taken to removing all water sources. I lifted the kiddy pool one morning to drain it, and a rat ran out from under it. I have also been taking the feeders into the shed except this morning there was a rat in the shed eating out of It. Now I'll bring food inside house at night.
I have tried spring traps but the rats have avoided them. Two days ago I set out one of those bait stations, the kind where the rat has to go in to eat the bait. It is under the shed in the area where the rats have been digging. So far no signs that they have used it.
I know that there are effective poison baits but you have to have a special license here to purchase them.
I would appreciate suggestions from others as to how to get rid of them.

So.... I had a serious rat problem. Basically I stopped feeding them and they left.

We stopped composting kitchen scraps. And I held my ducks bowl while they ate about 4-5 times a day. I picked up any pellets my ducks dropped. For the first 2 days the rats came to eat and I shooed them away. One rat stayed for a week and then left. Now I believe we are rat free!

We still aren't composting or free feeding in case they come back. It has only been about 2 weeks.

I haven't personally used it since we don't have pest issues here (knock on wood) but I heard good things about Rat X. Supposedly it's a poison that only affects mice/rats and not anything else even if said rodents get eaten.

Best thing you can do is remove the food. As seen in the video they will come during the day if they can't find it at night. When I get the first hint that there are rats around I switch to feeding a scoop of food in the am and one in the afternoon. The morning food I have no control over - so they get less. I have to leave to go to work, but the afternoon when I get home is free choice until I put them in at dark. They can certainly dig up bugs and things during the day.

I haven't personally used it since we don't have pest issues here (knock on wood) but I heard good things about Rat X. Supposedly it's a poison that only affects mice/rats and not anything else even if said rodents get eaten.
I tried Rat X and tried to trap but neither is working. I stuffed fresh mint in the hole it dug and it didn’t care. Any suggestions???

I tried Rat X and tried to trap but neither is working. I stuffed fresh mint in the hole it dug and it didn’t care. Any suggestions???
I do recall sometimes that it isn't the most enticing for them to eat. If I recall correctly, you might be able to mix some with peanut butter or such

I thought my rat problem was solved but tunnels/holes are showing up again. I've removed the food and water source. Set poison bait and several snap trap. I have heard that I need to leave them for several days because rats are smart and leary of human smell.
I even bought a small live trap. Haven't caught a rat yet but did catch what I think is the same chipmunk 3 times. It actually looked quite content, safely eating away.

I do recall sometimes that it isn't the most enticing for them to eat. If I recall correctly, you might be able to mix some with peanut butter or such
Oh I have left out the greatest treats, PB included. I got creative. Tonight I sprinkled dirty cat litter, Cedarific, outside the coop and in the path it comes from. Fingers crossed! I heard bobcat urine helps. Maybe tabby cat urine will too! 😂

Back
Top Bottom