Rats as food

Rats can have diseases, like leptospirosis and salmonellosis that can be transferred to chickens, so probably best not to feed them to the chickens.
Amen. I wouldn't feed them the rats either. We are having a rat problem. I hate to put out rat poison because of my cats. Baiting rat traps have not been too successful. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

True, to a point. There are many many lepto serovars, and the four most commonly found in dogs are in the vaccines. These vaccines have saved many dog and human lives, wonderful. Other Lepto types are present, and do cause illness in many species, including our dogs at times, and ourselves.
And we don't have any vaccine protection at all.
The story that comes to mind happened not that many years ago, when triatheletes in a competition if Florida were exposed while swimming, all went home all over the country, and many became ill. Can't remember outcomes, it's been a while.
Mary

i think the smell of crockpot rats cooking would make me sick...:sick
Im not sure if you think it smells like pee but it smells like any other meat in a crock pot. A friend wanted me to make a stew for them to try it lol. Anything smells good with gravy they said it taste like pork and chicken mixed
FB_IMG_1702333148674.jpg

I wouldn't risk it because of all the disease and stuff that can spread. It's strange because my chickens are terrified of rats but devoure mice. So sometimes when I'm out I randomly see this 😅

Back
Top Bottom