Rats as food

I looked, but I've seen no threads like this. I have both a rat and racoon problem. I am using electrocution to kill the rats. I threw the dead rats in the raccoon trap and trapped 3 chickens instead! So, can I just give the chickens the rats? There's no poison in them. And I know they eat mice and frogs. Thoughts?
I would worry that the rats have been poisoned without your knowledge

How did you electrocute them? I see one and ive set tons of traps and nothing.
So there are electric traps you can buy on Amazon. I move them once I’ve caught one or two because they seem to know to avoid it. I’ve also had a couple of mice get zapped. They run on 4D batteries and the ones I bought come with an outdoor protector. I haven’t killed any large rats, but have managed to get some adolescents. I’ve tried using the rat traps that don’t kill (just cage) but have only caught 2 as the holes are way too big (1/2 in) for the small rats and they escape with bits of bait. I’m going to try rat x next.

All this talk about rodent diseases has me wondering how my outdoor cats haven't gotten sick. They munch on or straight up eat the rodents they trap all the time. I wonder if cats have better immunity against it because of their long history of eating rodents.

But to keep it on topic, I also wouldn't feed the rats to my chickens. If they happened to eat one, oh well, but I don't think I'd make it their main food source. I understand the question though. I'm also someone who hates wasting anything that could be a food source to me or any of the other mouths on my property. Rats just seem like a bit of a risk though. Idk. Other animals eat them in the wild though so it makes you wonder.

As soon as I can manage to kill one I’ll happily cook it for my birds! They’ve killed 9 birds in a couple of weeks. Thankfully, they’ve been roosters, but still makes me angry.
Imma look for a large crock pot this summer so i can trap and cook them lol

All this talk about rodent diseases has me wondering how my outdoor cats haven't gotten sick. They munch on or straight up eat the rodents they trap all the time.
Contrary to popular opinion, most wild animals aren't actually diseased monsters

Also, immune systems. My chickens have been eating raw rodents, racoons and carrion for years with zero issues. Perhaps ultra-domesticated coopfowl couldn't handle it but a healthy chicken thrives under such circumstances

Back
Top Bottom