Rats as food

amarsano

Chirping
Aug 27, 2019
Southern New Hampshire
I looked, but I've seen no threads like this. I have both a rat and racoon problem. I am using electrocution to kill the rats. I threw the dead rats in the raccoon trap and trapped 3 chickens instead! So, can I just give the chickens the rats? There's no poison in them. And I know they eat mice and frogs. Thoughts?

I looked, but I've seen no threads like this. I have both a rat and racoon problem. I am using electrocution to kill the rats. I threw the dead rats in the raccoon trap and trapped 3 chickens instead! So, can I just give the chickens the rats? There's no poison in them. And I know they eat mice and frogs. Thoughts?
Rats can have diseases, like leptospirosis and salmonellosis that can be transferred to chickens, so probably best not to feed them to the chickens.

Is it transfered if its cooked?
:idunno salmonellosis? Probably. Leptospirosis, maybe? But why risk it.

What is leptospirosis?​

Leptospirosis is an illness caused by an infection with the bacteria Leptospira. You can get infected with Leptospira through abrasions or cuts in your skin, or through your eyes, nose or mouth.

Leptospirosis is a zoonotic disease, which means it’s transmitted between animals and humans. You can get infected through:

• Direct contact with pee (urine) or reproductive fluids from infected animals.
  • Contact with contaminated water or soil.
  • Eating or drinking contaminated food or water.
Source - https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/24021-leptospirosis

What is leptospirosis?​

Leptospirosis is an illness caused by an infection with the bacteria Leptospira. You can get infected with Leptospira through abrasions or cuts in your skin, or through your eyes, nose or mouth.

Leptospirosis is a zoonotic disease, which means it’s transmitted between animals and humans. You can get infected through:

Mine are domesticated and ive been feeding my chickens it for awhile now. As for wild rats i yeet them in the feild

What is leptospirosis?​

And basically anything can carry that lepto.

Back
Top Bottom