Rats colony in barn - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by farmerlee, Jul 31, 2013.

1. farmerlee

farmerlee Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2011
    I have a serious rats colony that has essentially take over my barn and coop.
    I tried to remedy the situation by destroying where they burrow and nest. Secured food, and bring it in at night. I put out poison bait stations, traps, and did some old fashioned rat hunting. I put a dent in their population, but a feel for not very long.
    I still see them in the coop during the day. The coop is very large and a haven for the rats.
    My barn is a place for my kids to play, hang out, etc.

We stopped eating the eggs for fear of contamination. I feel that the only way I can fully deal with the situation is to sell my chicken and remove all food and water sources. Basically gut the barn, clean it, and start fresh.

Do I have any other options at this point?

2. Naunnie

Naunnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2013
    Buchanan, Georgia
    My suggestion is get a few cats that will live in the barn. I have known several commercial chicken houses that allowed cats into the feed room to deter cats. I have 3 strays that hang out around the barn. Early this spring, I had my pasture bush hogged. It was really overgrown. The same day, we saw several rats. So did the kitties! Even though I keep food and water out for the strays, we witnessed them catching a few of the rats. It has been several weeks now and I cannot find any trace of the rats.

A search on here for rat traps will also give you some more options. There is a way to set up a barrel that they drown in. So far, I have not had to resort to this....thank goodness!I would not want my children to witness this method either. Several folks suggest keeping a King Snake in the barn, but I don't do snakes!

3. Ellaluvsbirds

Ellaluvsbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2013
    I agree with Naunnie. We have two cats that hang around our property and the only rats and mice that I see are the ones that the cats have killed and are sometimes in the middle of eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by