Rats - Do They Eat Eggs?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by thekla, Jun 5, 2010.

1. thekla

thekla Chillin' With My Peeps

I walked into my coop a few days ago and spotted a rat, watched where he went and got my brother to help catch and dispatch him, so, was he eating eggs? because my count was down for a few weeks and seems to be better now that he's gone. Just wondering.

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yes they do.... and some nasty ones will kill birds too....

3. thekla

well this one won't be eating any more (he did bite me though) hopefully the cats will catch any others - we have lots of mice but that was the first rat I've seen - probably came up from the farm down the road.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Where there's one rat, there's more...just like fleas, termites, cockroaches,mice etc....I hope you make a decent attempt to get rid of the mice....disease carriers. Please make sure you thoroughly cleaned and sanitized your rat bite, I hope it doesnt get infected. Good luck.

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yes they do and a few times they made off with banty eggs.

6. Ibicella

Ibicella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2009
    Everett, WA
    Oh yeah, they love them. Rats pretty much have the same diet requirements as humans, so eggs are definitely on the menu.

7. thekla

ok, thanks, and yes - I have been searching the forum for various, poison-free methods of rodent control and found a few to try, and yes, I let the finger bleed well then dosed with peroxide and anti-biotic, it's mostly healed now so, I'm good there, hopefully I will nip any rat infestation in the bud (mice in the country on-going even before the chickens and with cats, but some of the ideas on the forum look good) my egg counts are up already so I think that there are not a lot of rats (I found the nest and there was just the one.)

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

You saw Chicken Run right?

Those buggers were so desperate for eggs they made a deal for every one that a Rooster laid.

9. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    My cat Pumpkin takes care of the mice and rats.
    ----

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by