Rats living the dream

I don't use poisoned grain or any bait that can be moved by the rodents, because it may end up available to the wrong victims. The bait block in bait stations are the way to go. Also, you could put a bait block or two right into the burrow, and cover it with a brick or block, only if you are sure it's a rat burrow, nobody else's.
Change the bait type if they aren't eating it.
Mary

Welcome! Rats are not nice to have out there, and need to be eliminated soonest. Traps won't get them all, ever, it takes poisoned bait.
It's important to have the bait in 'bait stations' so that only rodents can access the stuff, and not drag it out of the station. Most rodents will return to their burrows to die, which may work well, or require you to remove bodies under your deck (if they smell!).
Usually you find very few bodies above ground, and they must go in the garbage so no other critter eats them.
It's all yucky!
You may need to use one bait for a while, and then switch to a different one to finish eliminating them.
Eliminate any other animal feed out there!
Mary

You need to remove any other source of food. I have mine in plastic bins that the lid locks down on. Rats could chew through these but I don't have them so far as I know! You may need steel ones to prevent this. The bait stations work so long as they are placed on the 'rat runs' so they pass through them. The blocks will work as does the dressed corn. If you can see where they are coming from then you could dig the hole up then back fill it with quick-crete. But watch out for rats running out, you could also use a terrier!
I had a rat infestation in one of my coops which I renovated. Prior to renovating it I moved the birds to another coop. I stuck a bunch of rat poison in the coop and shut it up tight and the only critters that could get to it was the rats. When I was taking apart part of the coop initially, removing a ceiling and some inner walls the rats poured out. I put the bait in the bait stations and eventually got rid of the rats. I did notice that the rats had made tunnels. I didn't find many dead one so I think they went into their tunnels and died. I'm sure there may be something similar where you are. I bought the bait bars on Amazon. The rat bait boxes came with some bait but the rats seemed to prefer this other bait I bought.
IMG_20180214_123653.jpg IMG_20180220_165446.jpg RatBait.jpg RatBaitStationRev.jpg

Back
Top Bottom