Rats!!!

Ok so I will tell you what we did. We had the same issue, unfortunately we also live near a small trash collection site so I am sure it didnt help. Ok so we started by completely sealing our coop, removing all food/water. Only having it outside during the day and sealing it up at night. We still had rats, idk what they were eating but they were there, burrowing and making a mess everywhere. We couldnt use poison for obvious reasons. Traps didnt work, so we were lost. Finally we got a bright idea, we sealed off all the holes in the ground except 1 and ran exhaust fumes in the hole for a good 30-45 mins. Painless and they go to sleep, forever! They all died.... worked perfect! Im sure some will move in soon but it worked for us!!!

We purchased TomCat Ray bait, in a red block (I can’t remeber the exact number/type, but it’s the only red block in this brand), and it cleared out all rats. Some people worry about their chickens getting ahold of it, but, we stuffed it far in the hole, then poured water down it, and filled in the hole, forcing the rats to try and re dig, and find the poison, but preventing the chickens from getting it. At one point, We accidentally dropped a block, and a piece broke off, and a nearby hen snatched it up. After days being watched, this poison had no affect on her, confirming that it is most likely safe for chickens, if they happen to find it after being buried.

We purchased TomCat Ray bait, in a red block (I can’t remeber the exact number/type, but it’s the only red block in this brand), and it cleared out all rats. Some people worry about their chickens getting ahold of it, but, we stuffed it far in the hole, then poured water down it, and filled in the hole, forcing the rats to try and re dig, and find the poison, but preventing the chickens from getting it. At one point, We accidentally dropped a block, and a piece broke off, and a nearby hen snatched it up. After days being watched, this poison had no affect on her, confirming that it is most likely safe for chickens, if they happen to find it after being buried.
Good to know, our hens will eat rats and mice as well. Ive seen it and it is terrible! I will keep that in mind though. For now our problem is gone. Thank goodness!

Back
Top Bottom