Rattle breathing Hen that won't eat

kaperi

Chirping
Oct 3, 2016
Quebec, Canada
Hi there,
i'm asking for your help. One of my Creamlegbar girls (named Plume, which translates fro Feather in french) she stopped laying for a couple days before I noticed.
Then she seemed sick (wouldn't get out in the morning, etc) so I brought her inside. Noticed she wasn't eating or drinking, had swollen eyes and had rattle breathing (by that I mean she would make sounds and open her mouth looking up)
I started giving her water with a seringue. Then I did a 6 days penicillin treatment to see if it would help. Her eyes arent swollen anymore, I give her oatmeal in water in a seringue, but she did loose a lot of weight.
She can still stand on her feel and all. If you look quickly she seems ok but won't eat or drink..
So I give her everyday 3X a day seringes to keep her hydrated. Sometimes at the end of the serigue treatment she starts rattling again, like gasping for air.
I startedto give her diatomeous earth with the seringues so it can treat if there are parasites inside.. also did an external treatment too.
I don't have access to a vet, neither to medicacation for worms because I'm in canada.

I looked online for hours.. does anyone have any idea? I don't want to put her down, she does not seem like she's suffering but she clearly is not well.
I've had her inside for 8 days now. All my other girls outside are fine!

thanks in advance for your precious help.

Attachments

• Afficher les photos récentes.jpeg
    Afficher les photos récentes.jpeg
    360.4 KB · Views: 15
It sounds like she could have a chronic respiratory disease. Tylosin, doxycycline, or oxytetracycline are very good medicines that may treat her disease. Penicillin is not usually effective for most respiratory diseases. I would mix a mash of water and chicken feed, with perhaps a little plain yogurt and scrambled egg to offer her. Tuna or salmon, or canned cat food are usually tempting. If she won’t eat or drink at all, I would attempt tube feeding her. You can use a length of aquarium air tbing with a 35 ml syringe, or get a proper feeding tube kit from your vet. Fluids are most important at first to get her hydrated. Here is some info on MG, a common respiratory disease:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Hi guys. UPDATE on PLUME'S HEALTH

She's still inside. i keep her in a room with low heat. it's been 2 weeks now. i stopped froce feeding her because she seems to have gained appetite but i'm not ready to put her back outside in the freezing weather because she did lose a lot of weight while she was sick.

I noticed today (right picture) that her comb is very very pale, and usually (left) very pink/red.

What do you think it might be?
Lack of sun?

Attachments

• BE7873BA-5F4E-4F01-A2FF-FED1E8E38959.jpg
    BE7873BA-5F4E-4F01-A2FF-FED1E8E38959.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom