Rattling breathing chicken

chkncrazy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Connecticut
So as we all know prices have gone up on everything, I started my new flock this year of 10 it was only supposed to be four but we know how chicken math goes. I had six pullets... I bought 2 more after 3 week quarantine introduced 3 weeks went by and then got two more.... The last two went through a two-week quarantine almost 3 weeks.... I added the last two to the flock everybody was doing great before that one of the two that were the last ones I purchased from a separate person on Craigslist started to develop a rattling noise when she's breathing!!! So of course now I'm thinking she could have mg or whatever it's called but it's definitely something upper respiratory, and then one of my pullets, that have been established for over a month now started having the same symptoms. I started adding rooster booster to the water or whatever it's called flock fuel I can't remember, and now I changed it over to apple cider vinegar and clean water and I ordered powder antibiotics cuz now I'm going to have to treat the whole flock. Where I'm from we don't really have avian vets, and I'm really not going to get every chicken tested and go through all that so I figure this is the easiest method and I'm going to try to get the antibiotics in them before they start laying so I don't have to throw away the eggs. And basically now have a closed flock. Which is fine cuz I don't breed them. I just wish people took better care of their animals it just seemed funny that the person I bought them from last wanted to know what two breeds I wanted and had them ready for me outside which I understand for biosecurity. I let them know that one of them started rattling just in case they didn't know. At this point what could I do. Any advice? No one's acting lethargic everyone's eating great and highly active no sneezing maybe a cough once in a blue moon if the rattling gets too heavy but I know now it's just going to spread so I ordered the Doxy, tylosin. So annoyed.

Thanks guys
Al

After you buy them, not much you can do, especially on Craig's List as there's no way to "rate" them. If you knew more about this person, and you find out they are selling sick chicks, you could contact their state Ag office.

It sounds to me like you are doing the best thing to try get them over it. I hope it's just a respiratory infection that they'll get over and that'll be the end of it.

After you buy them, not much you can do, especially on Craig's List as there's no way to "rate" them. If you knew more about this person, and you find out they are selling sick chicks, you could contact their state Ag office.

It sounds to me like you are doing the best thing to try get them over it. I hope it's just a respiratory infection that they'll get over and that'll be the end of it.
This person constantly has ads for years on Craigslist this time of year they have a huge indoor, I want to say it looks like a battery hens factory but they're loose in separate rooms I was in there years ago but I think they've let go of how they take care of the cleanliness inside if you know what I mean... But they must buy hundreds of chicks and poets to raise to sell because they're only there on certain days for people to pick up and there's always cars coming and going but it's like out in the sticks area of where I live it's not really kept up but it's not horrible horrible conditions so I'm hoping it's just a URI from overcrowdedness and feces he says when he buys the chicks or vaccinated so he lets people know off the bat who want vegan chickens or whatever... And he starts them all off on medicated feed, now I'm starting to know why. Recently this year he started having people sign sold as is forms cuz he said some lady complained that a couple chickens died on her or something so now I'm suspicious of there definitely won't be doing business there again. Unfortunately they're close but price just like everybody else. As you can see it was my last resort this time I should have known better. Well that medication I bought three upper respiratory yes right? And any bacterial infection they have I wormed everybody as well when I first got them so that's already out of the way this is just for eggs and selling eggs.

I ended up culling the worse hen, still waiting for the antibiotics to come it's been a week which will be tomorrow one of the pullets started laying I haven't been really hearing the rattling anymore but I haven't really been listening closely at night when they're on the roost which I'm going to do before dosing them, do y'all think I should do it individually. Seems like since I got rid of the sickest one the other ones improved... I don't want to take a chances though it seems like two or three of that only had been the worst one being the one I dispatched.

Back
Top Bottom