Rattling breathing sounds - Russian Orloff

JS1977

Chirping
Jun 5, 2017
Okie
My Russian Orloff rooster, about a year and three months old, developed a very loud rattling sound when he breathes. He’s had it for a bit now and I can’t seem to find any real info on what it may be. He acts fine, eats well, drinks plenty of water, chases all the hens, and crows just fine. I’ve read about Gapeworm, but I don’t see anything in his throat.

I’ll try to get a video of him to add here.

Any advice or experience you can share would be greatly appreciated.

He may have a chronic respiratory disease, such as MG. But I would check his crop to make sure that he is not suffering from a crop disorder. Feel it to see if it is full and puffy, or if there is a sour odor from the beak. Is he gasping, and does he have any watery/bubbly eye or nasal drainage? Gapeworm is fairly rare, and causes severe gaping and arching of the neck just to breathe. But you can use a common wormer SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer for 5 straight days to treat gapeworm and other worms that may be a problem. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight.

Respiratory diseases can be from bacteria or mycoplasma (similar to bacteria) and may respond to antibiotics such as Tylan (tylosin,) tetracyclines, Baytril, and Denagard. Some are caused by viruses or fungus, and those do not respond to antibiotics. Tylan 50 injectable is one of the only drugs available in feed stores. Dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given orally 3 times a day for 5 days. Or you can get tylosin powder, and put 1 tsp in a gallon of water for 5 days. It is sold here:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/

I went out to get a video so y’all could hear it, but I can’t get it to add to my post. I have noticed that it seems to be worse when he is active.

His breath does have a weird, almost fishy/dirty pond smell. His crop seems normal, but then again it’s not often I get to hold him to check it throughout the day/evening. He’s the most skittish rooster I’ve ever had.

No nasal or bubbly eye discharge, no watery eyes.

In early morning before he eats or drinks, is when the crop normally should be empty. If it is full and puffy then, there may be sour crop. If the crop seems to be emptying overnight, then I would treat for a respiratory infection.

I went out early this morning and checked his crop. It felt empty. I’m at a loss. Again, he acts fine and is eating and drinking normally. The noisy breathing is predominantly when he’s running around or upset

Hi,

My rooster also makes kind of a sound while breathing, I gave him some electrolyte water using a syringe the other day, is it possible it got into his lungs or whatever?

How could I help him?
Tnx

Can you look into the beak and throat with a flashlight while someone is holding his head still? The fishy odor could possibly be canker, a protozoan infection that leaves plaques inside the beak.

If the thoat is clear, then I would try treating with Tylan for a respiratory disease.

Back
Top Bottom