Ravens stealing eggs - caught on camera

I would handle him - being careful to avoid his beak - ruffle his feathers telling him to never come back. Do what you must to make this an unpleasant occurrence, and then turn him loose. They are smart, and he will not want to deal with you again. If possible do so while the mate is present. Even chasing him back and forth in the pen may be enough. Well done, and good luck.

Thank you @sourland. I did catch a fledgling 2 years ago in the coop eating chicken feed and held him and walked around discussing how they needed to never step foot into the chicken coop again, then let it go. The fledglings have pink inside their mouths, so I knew it was a youngster who didn't know better. They never came back, but then when they mature, they leave their parents territory so I didn't expect them back. This one today doesn't have a pink mouth and is quite large, so I'm pretty sure these are the nesting pair. The other one has been hanging out all day, mostly in the tree above it's mate, calling and talking. I was debating keeping it overnight in the pen, but afraid the chickens won't want to come in at dusk, even tho one hen already came and laid an egg and left while this guy is jumping all over in the broody pen. I feel pretty sure this jail cell is way worse than an egg is good.

Any chance offering a higher value food choice might work? Ravens are smart. Perhaps something the chickens can’t get to that they’d prefer? Draw them away from the coop?
Not sure if you read through all the posts... Now that he's a captive, I'm hoping all he wants is to never see the inside of a coop as long as he lives. And as smart as they are, I think the pair will not come back. It's still on my shelf, but years since I read it: The Mind of the Raven, author is ? Heinrich I think? It'll blow your mind to understand these creatures. Time for me to read it again, I'm happy to see plenty of people here who understand their intelligence! The mate has still not left the area and is staying close.

It'll blow your mind to understand these creatures..

It truly will. People often assume that birds are a small part of nature, and that they don't have very large brains. The real fact is... they make up most of our world and can be much smarter than we think. That's nature.
They're extremely intelligent- and not everything they do is by their heritage. They develop, like us, their own capabilities and their own persona.
The strength inside of them is unbelievable... considering they're much smaller than us- but can fly in a snow storm with dozens of predators risking their journey.

To me; Birds are one of the biggest bits of proof that the world is a never ending mystery. Even to science.
Aside from this... they're obviously just as mischievous as humans. ;) Ever see how a Nuthatch hides behind a branch when you look? Or a Red-Winged Blackbird tries to chase a bird three times his size?

Not sure if you read through all the posts... Now that he's a captive, I'm hoping all he wants is to never see the inside of a coop as long as he lives. And as smart as they are, I think the pair will not come back. It's still on my shelf, but years since I read it: The Mind of the Raven, author is ? Heinrich I think? It'll blow your mind to understand these creatures. Time for me to read it again, I'm happy to see plenty of people here who understand their intelligence! The mate has still not left the area and is staying close.

Please keep us updated! I had read through- just figured those critters are so smart that they’d still come

Back
Top Bottom