Raw diet for dogs?

heck our boxer mix could use some of the lethargy inducing dry food you all keep talking about!!!

I've actually heard quite a lot about many lower quality kibbles causing hyperactivity.

Did you know that the plant called Cassava (sp?) which is where tapioca comes from, has a naturally occurring low grade toxin that must be processed out before it can be consumed? I think it is a form of cyanide. Anyway, most tapioca is imported from third world countries where I'm certain that the processing standards are up to snuff.

I have no idea where they source their tapioco...but this is directly from the Nature's Variety's website...
Tapioca, is an all natural ingredient that is extracted from the root of the cassava plant via a series of washing, peeling, grating, and drying steps, a process that removes any cyanogenic glycosides. It is a grain-free and gluten-free starch that is 98% digestible. There are no known allergies to tapioca, and many veterinary teaching hospitals incorporate tapioca rather than potato into their hypoallergenic, homemade recipes for food allergies and Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD). Nature’s Variety includes tapioca in our grain-free Instinct kibble diets. Without some sort of natural starch as a binder, the ingredients in dry dog or cat foods do not hold together during the cooking process.

As for potatoes, they may be easier to digest, but I wouldn't say they are necessary for the dog's health.

I never said, nor would I ever say, that they are necessary....just MUCH less harmful and more digestible than any grain.

I guess nothing is perfect.

That I agree with 100%. There is nothing in this world that is perfect....no diet...no dog...no person...no anything.​

Quote:
I agree on everything you posted
thumbsup.gif

Dogs eat meat, poop, rotting dead animals and just about anything else they can find if left to their own devices.

That sentence made me laugh, so very true!

Also, cant you get tapeworm from raw meats?

People eat raw fish all the time and worms live in fish. I think rabbits can carry tapeworm, somebody correct me if I am wrong.

I wormed my dogs every year and never saw dead worms in their poop. Then I decided to get a fecal test done for worm egg count. Results showed way below average for worm eggs. On the advice from the Vet don't worm them every year, do a fecal test and deworm if needed.

I buy my raw meats at the grocery store, commercial butchers and the raw feed stores that are popping up everywhere. The price has gone up since the meat sellers see a market for what they used to give away.
Some people feed tripe, I haven't tried it. Those that process their own chickens save the necks and feet for their dogs. Hunters also save scraps for dog food.

One old guy that had four dogs and on a fixed income used to pick up road kill and feed it to his dogs. He grew up in the depression and remembers in Wyoming searching the roads with his Father for road kill because they were so hungry. You do what you have to do to survive.

Back
Top Bottom