We feed out kitties a mix of raw and wet food. (I don't trust myself to get the percentages perfect just yet)

We have two kitties,

Luxor the Savannah Cat:
IMG_20210731_130941757.jpg

and, Dr. Bright his adoptive brother,
IMG_20210714_223818241.jpg

It was Luxor's birthday recently, so he got a nice strip of beef as an extra treat, which he really enjoyed tearing into. (Dr. Bright also got some, but he refused to eat the chunk and we had to cut it up for him 😅)

Bright's fur has been getting so much softr once we started him on raw. (Luxor has always been on raw and has impossibly silky and luxurious fur)

Dogs are family though. That’s the way I see things. I have four dogs and the newest is a German Shepherd who I feel I might have to sell the house to feed.
100%! Our dogs are indoor dogs, Wilbur’s like a brother to me haha. He’s such a beautiful boy. And we joke about how much he costs us but we’d do it 20 times over if it meant he’d be ok.
This is him. He’s a Great Dane:
E68DF283-FF28-4838-A4CB-3395E910F84A.jpeg

We feed out kitties a mix of raw and wet food. (I don't trust myself to get the percentages perfect just yet)
That part is easy. If their poops are getting too dry, feed a higher percentage of bone. If they are getting too wet, feed a higher percent of organ. The ten percents are a handy starting ball park, nothing close to an exact science. And it is over time, not each meal. According to hundreds of people on the yahoo group I joined when I started doing it, many did well on an organ heavy meal once a week, many did better twice a week, some had different patterns. Bonier vs less boney was similar.

You really don't want to measure exactly, anyway, because it is best to feed the boney pieces intact; not bone by itself. If you need more bone - feed more wings or ribs or bonier fish or take some of the meat off such pieces before feeding them. How it looks depends on how big your dog (or cat) is and what your options are.

For anyone new to it, there are a very few other quirks - heart is muscle so is not organ, weight-bearing bones of large animals are not suitable (large animal being heavier than a young calf; as a rule of thumb, and the smaller the bone, the more important it is to feed it enclosed in the meat.

At the time, I thought it was by far the best diet. I still think so but have mellowed a lot.... the above is intended as fyi, not as pushing for it.

Last edited:

We have two kitties,

Luxor the Savannah Cat:
View attachment 2783929

and, Dr. Bright his adoptive brother,
View attachment 2783930

It was Luxor's birthday recently, so he got a nice strip of beef as an extra treat, which he really enjoyed tearing into. (Dr. Bright also got some, but he refused to eat the chunk and we had to cut it up for him 😅)

Bright's fur has been getting so much softr once we started him on raw. (Luxor has always been on raw and has impossibly silky and luxurious fur)
Beautiful cats! I believe it when you say their fur has changed. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s gotten softer due to the moisture in the raw food. There are so many benefits to raw feeding; heck even if you just add an egg in with kibble it’s still something in the meal that isn’t heavily processed. I know it’s debatable, but I swear bagged shelf food just causes 60%-70% of vet issues.

That part is easy. If their poops are getting too dry, feed a higher percentage of bone. If they are getting too wet, feed a higher percent of organ. The ten percents are a handy starting ball park, nothing close to an exact science. And it is over time, not each meal. According to hundreds of people on the yahoo group I joined when I started doing it, many did well on an organ heavy meal once a week, many did better twice a week, some had different patterns. Bonier vs less boney was similar.

You really don't want to measure exactly, anyway, because it is best to feed the boney pieces intact; not bone by itself. If you need more bone - feed more wings or ribs or bonier fish or take some of the meat off such pieces before feeding them. How it looks depends on how big your dog (or cat) is and what your options are.

For anyone new to it, there are a very few other quirks - heart is muscle so is not organ, weight-bearing bones of large animals are not suitable (large animal being heavier than a young calf; as a rule of thumb, and the smaller the bone, the more important it is to feed it enclosed in the meat.

At the time, I thought it was by far the best diet. I still think so but have mellowed a lot.... the above is intended as fyi, not as
Agreed^

100%! Our dogs are indoor dogs, Wilbur’s like a brother to me haha. He’s such a beautiful boy. And we joke about how much he costs us but we’d do it 20 times over if it meant he’d be ok.
This is him. He’s a Great Dane:
View attachment 2783931
Dang! He is beautiful! I see what you mean about the cost. Great Danes are big boys/girls. They are such great dogs though! I’ve never had one, but I know people that do.

I adopted Luc (pronounced like Luke) a few months ago and slowly transitioned him to raw. I had been making my previous dogs a homemade diet for health reasons. After a lot of research I decided to do a raw diet with my next dog. He took to it quickly and loves getting his meals. Right now I am getting his food shipped to me premade (since it's so important for puppies to get their nutritional needs meet daily). He also gets additional chucks of meat and raw meaty bones so he can get that stimulation from chewing. He also loves raw duck and quail eggs.

This is Luc.

Luc2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom