Raw feeding dog (Yes! No?)

For pre-portioned food, what organs do you feed? I am new to raw feeding still and still need to study on the links and ask my vet.

I know that some people salmonella test their own chickens. So I was wondering if I could possible feed Kiki the "leftovers" of a butcher. I have never butchered ever, but my dad is thinking about it, we have quite a few extra cockerels, which I am sure a lot of people have. I do not think I will butcher for raw dog consumption any where near the future though, because I do not want to get her sick...
my grandparents always let their dog have her portion of the butcher

I would definitely feed raw if I could afford it for my 100 lb. dog. He got a month of Tucker's raw recently because the pet store had a deal and did great on it. His coat was very soft and shiny, energy really good. He's not normally picky but did love the raw. Just my own opinion but I consider the dog food ingredients and nutrition levels more important than whether it's cooked (although I don't like the over-processing of kibble). And most premade raw I've seen has had great ingredients.

Kiki is a beautiful girl 😍.
Thank you!

Although I feel like all dog owners have bias toward THEIR dog 🤪

Its even an issue in my own family!! 🤣 Kiki is the queen in my opinion and Snowball is the queen in my sister's palace! 🤣

I have a friend who feeds raw and swears by it. She's always pushing me to do so, too. However, she spends a large portion of one day a week, usually Sunday, prepping her dog's food for the week. I know she gets it from somewhere but she still has to process it somehow in a blender with fruits and veggies and then portion it into daily containers. I don't have the time and energy to do all that. She also has to be very careful about keeping containers and utensils separate, to avoid contaminating anything that might be used for human consumption! She was very concerned one time when her elderly dad accidentally put some of the dog-food bowls in the sink with the people dishes. Again, not something I want to mess with.

I'm an old lady now. I've had my share of dogs. I've always fed kibble. My dogs lived into their mid teens, which seems like a good, ripe old age for a dog. I don't see that feeding kibble did any of them any harm.

I have a friend who feeds raw and swears by it. She's always pushing me to do so, too. However, she spends a large portion of one day a week, usually Sunday, prepping her dog's food for the week. I know she gets it from somewhere but she still has to process it somehow in a blender with fruits and veggies and then portion it into daily containers. I don't have the time and energy to do all that. She also has to be very careful about keeping containers and utensils separate, to avoid contaminating anything that might be used for human consumption! She was very concerned one time when her elderly dad accidentally put some of the dog-food bowls in the sink with the people dishes. Again, not something I want to mess with.

I'm an old lady now. I've had my share of dogs. I've always fed kibble. My dogs lived into their mid teens, which seems like a good, ripe old age for a dog. I don't see that feeding kibble did any of them any harm.
Yes, I know that they can live off of it, its just that she refuses to eat it! I have tried everything!

You can definitely feed your dog left overs or just part of the butcher. Kiki will love you for it.

I hit a deer a few years ago… needless to say, her life did not go to waste. She provided them extra meat for a week. My dogs really enjoy the variety of meat we give them. We will shoot rabbits on the property, put them in the freezer for a couple hours and feed it to them.

The goal for portions is to mimic an entire carcass being consumed. Muscle meat, organs, bones. If my Dogo Argentino eats a whole rabbit for dinner, she had the equivalent of a complete diet. Ratios are correct.

Do not heat bones, ever. Boil, microwave, warm up… anything of that nature. It changes the structure of the bone and allows them to splinter. It’s not necessary to heat the raw either. It will remove the moisture that they need from the meat and also take from the nutritional content.

But I always say, if you feel better heating a homemade meal for your dog… go for it! It’s better than kibble.

Yes, I know that they can live off of it, its just that she refuses to eat it! I have tried everything!
Well I sure hope you find something that works for you. Gracie was a scrawny little fussy eater too, that had seizures, until I got her on her current formula. It's Taste of the Wild. It has buffalo meat and is grain free. She really likes it, so much so that I have to be careful not to overfeed! And she has had no seizures since we switched to it. She knew those other feeds were no good for her! Good luck, Kiddo!

Well I sure hope you find something that works for you. Gracie was a scrawny little fussy eater too, that had seizures, until I got her on her current formula. It's Taste of the Wild. It has buffalo meat and is grain free. She really likes it, so much so that I have to be careful not to overfeed! And she has had no seizures since we switched to it. She knew those other feeds were no good for her! Good luck, Kiddo!
Yep! That was a brand we tried as well...she is just TOO picky! I have been feeding her cooked ground turkey and some carrots or green veggies to make sure she eats sometimes! Its just that its not pre-portioned and will not provide her with what she needs...she sure is picky....

Yep! That was a brand we tried as well...she is just TOO picky! I have been feeding her cooked ground turkey and some carrots or green veggies to make sure she eats sometimes! Its just that its not pre-portioned and will not provide her with what she needs...she sure is picky....
Does she like brown rice and chicken?

Back
Top Bottom